Fantom S or X6?

A*X*7

• Members

This is my first time at this site...

I have lots of questions but first and foremost is What would I be missing if I bought a used Fantom S (saving money) or should I wait till the X6 comes down in price?

After 20 years of Guitar I currently use the Roland EM2000 that I find easy to work with (layer sounds) but my Triton is too technical to shift on the fly as I do not know in advance what will be played in spur of the moment live jams.

The Fantom series looks attractive with its newer sounds, Trigger Pads, and "Skip back sampling" live! But what would I miss with the "S" over the "X6"

Anyone and everyone please reply. Thanks.

• Members

Differences:

- polyphony (S 64, X 128)

- waveforms (S has less than X. X's waveform includes everything from the S, but the X has a 88-notes sampled acoustic grand piano, the 'Ultimate Grand')

- coloured screen (not on the S)

- perhaps some other stuff, don't know. There are (at least: were) comparison web sites on the net.

Those differences might or might not be of any importance to you. At least, I'd wait 'till the NAMM secrets are revealed. If Roland presents a new workstation, the X's might go down in price and might get more interesting to you.

• Members

if roland does announce that a new fantom is coming out does the price drop right away on all the other fantoms? or does it drop when the new product is available to the public?

i would assume that they would drop price right away so0 they could sell as many as possible b4 the new 1 comes out. it makes sense does any1 else agree?

• Members

probably not immediately.

Unless there's an official promotion, you're most likely going to have to use your knowledge to barter with the salesperson ... (MOST people probably won't know there's a new model on the way ... )

It may also depend on how much Fan-X stock is still out there ... I've read some reports its getting harder to find X7s ...

OTHER BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN S and X ...

-- No audio tracks on the S. If you're hoping to use the Fantom as an "all in one" solution or even as a composition tool, the audio tracks are a huge bonus (and pretty much an exclusive in the "under $7,000" range) ...

-- More expansion capability on the X. If you fully expand the sampling RAM on the S, you only get two SRX slots ... (I'll soon have five ... which of course is one more than one can fit inside.)

-- Multisampling options have been upgraded on the X.

The drum pads are supposedly more responsive on the X as well ... And if you get the S, you're stuck with its sh-te piano unless you get SRX-12 ...

Other than that, they are pretty much the same expect the Fan-X control surface area looks a little better thanks to some extra silkscreening that provides more contrast ...

Good luck!

• Members

Yes and thank you for the info about the Fantom S/X6 comparable's.

I think Roland's new release at NAMM will drop the price a little on the "X" series and then again when they stop making them and start producing the new ones instead....then I could wait 3 months and the "X' series will drop in price again 'cause everyone puts them on Ebay to be able to go buy the new Roland! I saw it happen with the Korg "Triton" series and with Yamaha "Motiff"

Thats how I got a Triton so cheap!! I think I could wait 4 months and get a "X7".............Awesome!!

• Members

Judging from what happened with the prices on Yamaha's ES line, the price on the X will really take a drop from where they are now this summer when a glut of them will hit the used market. But if you need something today that won't help you.

On all used Fantoms, in particular the S, make sure the four knobs on top are functioning properly. When they wear out and start to self-edit it's impossible to do anything on the keyboard, as they will mess up any setting you have selected.

• Members

The drum pads are supposedly more responsive on the X as well ...

Even worse? That's one of my complaints with my new x6 is that you really have to bang on those pads. Also the aftertouch takes a lot of muscle too. Store floor model's the same so I didn't just get a bad one. Maybe I just have weak fingers.

There's still the $200 rebate, that's sort of like a price drop, but one you have to wait for.

• Members

Even worse? That's one of my complaints with my new x6 is that you really have to bang on those pads. Also the aftertouch takes a lot of muscle too. Store floor model's the same so I didn't just get a bad one. Maybe I just have weak fingers.

There's still the $200 rebate, that's sort of like a price drop, but one you have to wait for.

"Playing" the drum pads isn't really their best function ... I use the pads more for triggering sequences and samples ... They're usable, especially for step recording, but a little unreliable when playing drum sounds from the pads in real time ...

I don't think the Fantom X will drop in price nearly as much as the ES because the X still looks and feels like a contemporary workstation ... the ES with its tiny mono screen and archaic UI felt and looked like something from the last milennium ...

The Fantom X is still very much a contender

Archived