Boss RE-20 Space Echo owners! Represent!

r33k

• Members

First of all:

boss_re_20.jpg

Now the questions: I want to use this with my shiny new Nord Electro 73 in a live setting. Prolly park it right on the front panel of the keyboard above the top octave. Anyone using this piece with synths? How do you like it for dreamy, spacy ambience? How is the reverb effect on it? Can you turn the delay effect down and just hear the reverb by itself? I need that effect, but I don't want to get a separate pedal to do it. I want to be able to have delay + verb, delay only or verb only. Will this do the trick for me?

Thanks all!

Edit: If I had looked more closely, I could've answered one of my questions. There is clearly a Reverb Only setting on the main dial.

• Members

itll do all the things you want it to do and sound very authentic in the process. i love mine. one of the best buys ive made. one of the great things about it is when you turn off the delay it lets the tail of the reverb or delay die away naturally and doesnt cut the effect straight off like some pedals do. the reverb is also very authentically spring like.

top pedal methinks

• Members

I'm not sure a pedal of that size will fit on the front panel like you suggest. Can any electro owner confirm or deny this?

Also: "one of the great things about it is when you turn off the delay it lets the tail of the reverb or delay die away naturally and doesnt cut the effect straight off like some pedals do." Is this also true when switching from setting to setting with signal still going through the delay?

PS: When you do gig in pdx PM me.

• Members

I'm not sure a pedal of that size will fit on the front panel like you suggest.

You know, that's a really good point. The Electro has a pretty shallow top panel. I'll need to measure mine tonight to see if an RE-20 would fit up there... Hmmm.

And thanks for your input, Goldphinga.

• Members

It will fit on the Electro. You may want to use a little Velcro. I had the DD20 for a few years and it worked well with the Electro. Now I also have the RE20 on my GAS list, but waiting to see what might win my $$ at NAMM first.

• Members

Ordered yesterday.

As soon as I have it (course next week) I'll post some clips.

Looking forward to that. Could you do one that demonstrates the 'Reverb Only' setting while you're at it?

Cheers, all.

• Members
this pedal is
:thu:
awesome,

reverb is authentic to the original, which both suck, but i still love it.

sold my re-201 and re-301 short while ago, no looking back.

So it's really that close to the originals? I love my RE-20, but I've never played a 201 to compare it to. I can't help but lust after all the 201's that I see on eBay.

• Members

Just bought one yesterday! This thing is awesome. Had a RE501, dumped $300 into it to get it cleaned, adjusted, and calibrated by Roland. Sold it for a nice profit. Bought a Danelectro Reel Tape Echo, and didn't like it. The RE20 is fantastic! 99.9% similar to the real deal.

• Members

Just bought one yesterday! This thing is awesome. Had a RE501, dumped $300 into it to get it cleaned, adjusted, and calibrated by Roland. Sold it for a nice profit. Bought a Danelectro Reel Tape Echo, and didn't like it. The RE20 is fantastic! 99.9% similar to the real deal.

see? that's what i said. i completely did not see this coming, especially from BOSS. i love this thing.

EDIT: one thing though, my Boss pedal controls react quite a bit slower than my original RE-301.

• Members

I was at guitar center in fairfax a while back and they had one on display, along with a guitar.

I was playing around with it, fiddling knobs when out of nowhere a HUUUUUGE wall feedbacky noisy bliss came out.... and came out LOOOOOOUD!!!

I was flipping out trying to turn down the feedback, drive etc etc, it lasted maybe 25 seconds. when it all went away I heard from accross the store "...I WAS WONDERING HOW LONG YOU WERE GOING TO KEEP GOING!!!"

I want one now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use,and love my Boss RE-20 for live,tracking...! I don't miss my RE-201 Space Echo...It's really amazing COSM sounds 100% like tape.

I DO love ,and have been really tracking guitars with my hand made T-Rex Engineering ApS http://www.t-rex-engineering.com

Replica Delay Pedal,when specially touring.T-Rex engineering are all very good people in Denmark and make some very very ill stuff for sure..

My Replica is very analog,with serious warm tube sounding for real ...

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/default.asp?show=page&id=2325

Check t-rex engineering amazing stuff at Musikmesse Frankfurt,Germany March 12th - 15th

Bless,

• Members

Mine arrived this week.

Was pretty skeptical about it but actually I must admit it"s convincing enough in a sense that in a mix it'd be very tough to differeciate it from the real thing.

Currently working on an a project and trying to finish that first. Will post some clips of the RE 20 asap.

• Members

Friend pointed this out to me a while back as I make some dub occasionally; but probably not enough to justify buying a space echo.

But in the mix; she'd go ok?

A no brainer imho.

At a third of the price of a well working RE201 you get I'd dare say 90% of the real deal without the hassle and worries of the real stuff.

On top of that it's rather compact but sturdy and it looks cool.

As I pointed out, being familiar with Roland's COSM technoligy in their multitrackers and workstations I was very skeptical myself, but this one doesn't disappoint.

• Members

To those who have this pedal and have used a real RE-201, does it overdrive on the input if you slam it in the same way the RE-201 does? I wonder because to me, this is a huge part of the Space Echo sound.

Also, how is the saturation when you really push it? Demos so far have sounded good in their own way, but I haven't heard any that really show off (ab)using it.

wondering,

Ian

• Members

it DOES overdrive the input if you slam it.

i was really surprised, i thought because it's digital it would totally flake out, but instead, i think BOSS really anticipated this and somehow the COSM makes it sound pretty damn real

• Members

To those who have this pedal and have used a real RE-201, does it overdrive on the input if you slam it in the same way the RE-201 does? I wonder because to me, this is a huge part of the Space Echo sound.

Also, how is the saturation when you really push it? Demos so far have sounded good in their own way, but I haven't heard any that really show off (ab)using it.

wondering,

Ian

When crancking intensity, the saturation builds up slowly and organically, close to the RE-201 unlike the DL4 & Echo Pro which I own.

For gigging musicians it's a no brainer imho, but in studio nothing beats the coolness of operating a fully operational RE-201. I regularly used a real RE-201 from 1997 until 2001 until it definitely crapped down. As far as I remember (and my memory is close to being autistic) the RE-20 gets you very close. TAP tempo and speed accellaration when holding tap tempo are a nice bonus. As I stated earlier the COSM doesn't disappoint here (unlike in their synths and multitrackers). Will try to post some guitar clips asap, time hasn't been on my side lately (insert sigh smilie here).

Archived