Nord vs. Upright electric piano, any brand.

JSmalley12000

• Members

Hello all!

Thanks in advance for reading this. I am on the market for a piano, with weighted keys. It doesn't have to be 88 keys; 61 would be fine.

I would like to how well the Nord functions as a piano, compared to a dedicated upright electric piano. I am interested in the Nord for the other tones (Rhodes, etc.) but would also like to put some miles on it as a practice piano.

I already have an M-Audio MIDI controller, so MIDI isn't an issue in this consideration.

Now that I type, I realize that I would be using this a LOT for practicing on my own -- would it be wise to get an electric piano and not put those miles on a Nord?

Lastly, price isn't that much of an issue, but I wouldn't want to spend more than the cost of a Nord on an electric piano.

Thanks for your help!

• Members

Are you talking Nord Stage or Nord Electro?

The Electro keybed is an extremely light, non-weighted organ-style keybed and while you can play pianos on it, it was always a bit weird feeling for me. Conversely, the pianos feel "right" on the Stage but the organs are a bit weird...

• Members

I was thinking either one. They seem to be about the same price. I really only want it for the Rhodes, and, for the haunting choir effect.

It sounds like I should just get one of each! Thanks for your reply.

Are you talking Nord Stage or Nord Electro?

The Electro keybed is an extremely light, non-weighted organ-style keybed and while you can play pianos on it, it was always a bit weird feeling for me. Conversely, the pianos feel "right" on the Stage but the organs are a bit weird...

• Members

The Stage is about twice the cost of the Electro. The Electro dosen't have any "choir effect" though the Stage has a passable "synth" section that can do choir-type pads.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the newly released Nord Wave? It has choirs in spades due to all the Mellotron samples in it. But it only has a tiny 49-key, unweighted keyboard.

For what it sounds like you want, probably the Nord Stage 88 or Stage 76 are your best bets...

• Members

I see from your other thread you're just looking for a good E-piano sound...The Nord Stage or Nord Electro is maybe a bit overkill for that.

Check out Kurzweil's stage pianos - they're cheaper but sill very high-quality, great-sounding instruments with a nice variety of acoustic pianos, electric pianos, strings, choir, etc....

Best of luck to you.

Archived