How to get a sound -

loxley11

• Members

Does anyone know how to get this particular sound, or what it is?

It is more of a sound effect

It is very metallic/digital/sample/whatever-sounding

It's sort of a squeaky, squealy bending upwards in pitch, with overtones coming and going, and getting higher as they go. The overtones don't appear to be harmonically related.

It's a fairly common sound, but at the moment, the only example I can think of is at the end of Leonard Cohen's "First we take Manhattan"

I think I even had something like this on my old SY55, but alas, it was sold.

Can this be gotten from an FM device, or ROMpler only?

thanks,

Drew

• Members

I just listened to the song on Youtube, and it sounds like there is a lot of DX7 stuff in there. I'm not sure exactly what sound you're referring to though. The only thing I heard at the end that was "rising in pitch" was some sort of arpeggio played up the keyboard, which had some FM-like harmonic structure to it, so once again, it was probably a DX7 or similar.

• Members

i'll try to be more specific - it comes in around 5:39 in the album version - don't know if the one on YouTube is different.

It sounds a lot like when you turn up the resonance and do a filter sweep, but somehow more metallic and inharmonic - that was why I was thinking FM, and yes, LC did use mostly DX-7 for that album. I could try it on FS1r but I know the DX didn't have any filters so that "resonance" would have to be programmed into the sound.

Thanks for your help,

drew

• Members
i'll try to be more specific - it comes in around 5:39 in the album version - don't know if the one on YouTube is different.

It sounds a lot like when you turn up the resonance and do a filter sweep, but somehow more metallic and inharmonic - that was why I was thinking FM, and yes, LC did use mostly DX-7 for that album. I could try it on FS1r but I know the DX didn't have any filters so that "resonance" would have to be programmed into the sound.

Now I hear it, it's around that same time in the Youtube video as well. It sounds like an FM "filter sweep", which is just a modulator amplitude increasing over time, increasingly modulating the carrier. It makes a sound similar to, but distinctly different from, a resonant filter sweep. In FM, the amplitude of the modulator is similar to the cutoff frequency of the filter in subtractive. The sound gets brighter as it's modulated more, and when it's high enough, it starts to sound like a resonant filter sweep.

• Members

Kpatz, thanks for your help! This sort of makes sense with what I've learned from using FM

Yoozer, if I attached the file as an MP3, isn't that the same as file sharing (and illegal)? I don't have the means of cutting a song into parts and posting one of them, so how do I post a sample? If YouTube is the only solution, guess I'll just have to wait till I get home from work. It's blocked here for obvious reasons. I just pray that they never do that to this site :cry:

• Members

Just an afterthought - I wonder would raising the modulator's pitch by envelope have the same effect as well?

Like dereksljuka said, you would get a different effect doing that. Besides, DX synths don't allow you to change just the modulator's pitch with an envelope or other modulator. All operators are affected. Other synths with FM may though--my Microkorg can.

• Members

Yoozer, if I attached the file as an MP3, isn't that the same as file sharing

If you can keep the fragment down to 20 seconds or less (and 10 would be enough if it can be heard clearly) it's reasonable to consider it fair use.

I don't have the means of cutting a song into parts and posting one of them

Yes, you do. ;).

If you can keep it small enough, you can try to upload it as an attachment (128kbps quality is enough) - a maximum of 2 mb is allowed, but it's probably better to keep it down, and for such a short time you're only going to need a few hundred kilobytes. Click the "Manage attachments" button below your post when you reply (or when it's not visible, click "Go Advanced").

Archived