Shopping for new synth

• Members

So...I'm looking for a new synth. Budget is about $450- I know it's not much.

I don't really need any certain number of keys, since I'll be using it with my 88 key MIDI controller. That being said, MIDI in/out would be important.

Don't need any acoustic sounds, as said MIDI controller is also a stage piano.

Anything new is okay, plus there's a roland d-10, an xp-30, a juno d, e-mu emax II, roland jx8p, and a nord micro modular on my craigslist as well.

Some good tweakability is important to me- hence why i might lean away from the juno d.

The d-10 is pretty sweet looking, and it's by far the cheapest as well.

I play lots of music, but prog and techno are the most important.

Ideas?

EDIT: nevermind on the d-10, sounds a bit too 80s-ish for me. and the jx8p is a bit too far.

• Members

Pick the XP-30 over the D-10 any time. Pick the XP-30 over the Juno-D too. The Emax is a vintage sampler and requires peripherals to become remotely useable.

The JX8P and Micro Modular are nice, but don't offer much in terms of hands-on control - however, you can use a midi controller and use that to do further tweaking. The Micromodular requires a computer but can do much, much more than the JX8P (which is a rather straightforward synthesizer) - downside is that you have to use the editor and you are limited to 4 voices of polyphony for a single patch (which, with complex patches, may go further down to 1).

See if you can score a Novation Nova, Roland JP8080 or 8000, Roland SH-201, Yamaha AN200, Nord Rack 2, secondhand Korg R3 (if you're very lucky), MS2000 or Virus A - or something like it.

• Members

Look in the for sale sections of this and other similar synth forums (perhaps Vintage Synth Explorers) synth sellers who are actually into them ... I've had 100 percent satisfaction with the five or six unseen synth purchases I've done online ... everything was in perfect shape and was exactly as I expected ...

There are many choices in your price range ... I got an MS2000 for $250; a V-Synth for $600 ... Juno-106 for $400 (all nicely programmable and with MIDI) ... So there are synths to be had in your price range ... The trick with getting a neat synth at a nice price is that you need to know in advance what you're in the market for and be ready to pounce ...

• Members

How about a pc1x?

it's not VA, and it's garbage

there's only one great VA synth in your price range - it's JP8080, and it's in the league of its own, none of those Microns Shmicrons and Korgs Shmorgs come anywhere close to its greatness

• Members

What about Use Audio Plugiator? It's not released yet, but will be soon (in February, the developers say). It is a hardware container for several synths from Creamware Scope platform which are no less than outstanding (there's Minimax - the best Minimoog emulation out there; B4000 - the best B4 organ emulation which IMO beats emulations from Roland, Hammond, Korg and Clavia; Lightwave - just simply excellent VA/wavetable synth; and Vocodizer - don't know much about it, but it surely has a vocoder which is always nice to have). You can also buy additional synths to expand it.

It's a module with no keys, but you should have no problem using it with your controller.

• Members

Oh well. I won't complain.

No, you should go to his house right now.

"Hey fella, there's a hole at the end of the tailpipe on your car and it only has four wheels. I'll take it off your hands for $20 bucks. Just as a favor."

Or maybe: "MY GOD, your house has SHINGLES!!!"

It's worth a try.

Archived