Recording

Bonus

• Members

Hows it going?

Have a few questions here for ye's, please bare with my noobness :).

Im wondering wha the best way to record is. I have Sonar LE and have my stuff on a sampler. I was thinking record one sample at a time into Sonar?Hope some1 can give me some details on the best way to record and all that.

Also i am wondering how people when having a drum beat for a song have drumms rolls here and there. I have a drum beat looping so would i just need to record a drum fill onto a different pad and bring it on at beat 1 of the bar?

Basically i have stuff like Justice and Chemy bros style. Its quite frustrating because i have all these ideas and i know how to write a good song but dont really have the technical know how of recording the stuff and techniques yet. Cheers for the help.

Bonus

• Members

one sample at a time?

what kind of sampler do you have?

i dont understand. you have a style like the chem bros, but no beat/song or anything done?

id think if youre trying to write with a sampler then youd use sonar as a sequencer and perhaps record the result..or use the onboard sequencer with the sampler and record that as tracks..then manipulate it from there.

id look for a manual for your sampler, that's job #1 buddy.

• Members

again, you'll have to tell us something about your sampler.

i have no idea if you have a phrase sampler, ensonique mirage, es-1, yamaha su, akai, etc

so i can't tell you how you would do anything with it.

furthermore, almost everyone does everything differently.

there is so much variety in gear out there that people are using vinyl tables, vinyl via software to control files on a computer (.mp3), cdj's, traktor, final scratch, samplers, sampling keyboards, performance sequencing software, tracking software, loopers, looping pedals, triggering sample/sequences via everythign from guitars and drum pads to waving their hands in the air.

if you simply say what software and hardware you have and what youre trying to do with it, then maybe i can throw some ideas at you.

• Members

Ahh right sorry man i forgot to tell ye my equip!.

Im using a SP 555 roland sampler, microkorg and a DR-5 rythem machine.

Basically im new enough to all this, i make bass using my bass guitar or MK, sample them and then layer other stuff on it with drum loops and that. This is the way i presume things are done?Im trying to replicate stuff like Justice (without ripping them off but using that style as a foundation). So maybe there is a better way to get all my sound together im not sure? So i want to record the samples off the sampler onto Sonar but i want the ability to breing things in and out and not just have all the pads going on the same track layer. So im not sure what to do ?

Also i was watching some old Daft punk vids and noticed they were using turntables....just wondering what they were using them for do they just have the bass and drum going off the turntables and put in their samples over that or how was it working? Should i go grab a set of cheap turntables if i want to play that sort of stuff?

Just to give u an idea of what sort of styles i like, this acid sutff is kinda cool

Early daft punk like rex club aswell.

Sorry for my extreme noobness...but i really appreciate you replying man saving me hours of headaches here. Cheers,

Bonus

Archived