Ok, Ok, Analog Synths Sound Better Generally. But....

nat whilk II

• Members

It does make sense. Like I mentioned, I have bits of analog gear. There is a difference, though it's becoming negligible. The sound is becoming the least of the differences for me. I love my analog hardware, but I do more playing and sound design with it, and less actual music making. Since it's all a hobby for me anyway, the analog hardware ends up being more for fun, whereas if I want to write a piece of music I go the software route for work-flow reasons. I spend less time thinking about everything, and more time writing when I use all software. (though I do occasionally mix the two)

I haven't noticed that problem with PolyAna. I haven't done any huge filter sweeps via MIDI yet, but it sounds like something that wouldn't be inherent to that particular synth, (other than I've heard of it being a resource hog in certain hosts.) I use it in Reaper, and I don't get more than 10% or so CPU usage on my Q6600. If I remember, I'll try that out when I get home tonight.

I also have a different point of view on the way all of these things sound though. My modulars have been full of digital modules (Noisering, Zorlon Cannon, MiniWave, VCDO, etc.) I love digital synthesis (wavetable, low-bit resolution stuff, etc.) and even with analog synths, I've always leaned toward a cleaner and more modern sound, over the relative "slop" of Vintage sound. I like the punch and thickness of analog, but in it's cleanest most stable form. :)

• Members

buying and selling synths until you find 'the right one' can be educational but frustrating and costly, at times. it does sound like you wouldn't be happy with anything but the best, in your opinion. I suggest that you be patient, save a little more money, and start a basic modular system. go with one of the boutique manufacturers, first, rather than starting with a Doepfer basic system or similar.

Agreed. I would choose Euro or Frac format, and then go with things from Bananalogue, Wiard, Plan B, Livewire, MOTM, Blacet, Metalbox, Magic Smoke, STG, Harvestman etc. over things from Doepfer, AS, etc. The price differences are fairly small, and you get a much more interesting sound.

Putting something like this together would probably be more worthwhile even in the early stages, than buying a bunch of cheaper vintage hardware, and constantly trading it due to disappointment.

I didn't list large formats, as I don't think you'd be happy with the result without paying huge amounts of money. My Modcan B/MOTM project quickly got out of hand price-wise, and I ended up selling it to finance more DIY modular building, since I'm into that anyway.

• Members
Ok..so now that the age of 'new sounds' is over...perhaps its time for electronic musicians to concern themselves more with the notes than just the timbre?

Just a thought ive been having lately - that I should forget about the sounds and focus on the music.

Ahhh, yes...the whole "write a better chorus" approach. :idea::thu::cool:

dB

• Members

One thing to bare in mind. You will be limited to the sound and capabilities of the era any vintage key comes from. Generally, the newer the machine the more creative options you will have. That's a HUGE generalization, but I feel it is not far from the truth.

Now mind you this is coming from a guy who owns dozens of vintage keys from the 60's to present, including a very large Synthesizers.com/MOTM modular as well as a Moog IIIc Modular.

Archived