Tech 21 sansamp gt-2 Vs classic pedal

rossnuk

• Members

Hi, I just bought a Sansamp GT-2 pedal -

like it a lot, then realised that the sansamp classic has just been re-released.

Anyone got any experience with the classic - Is the sound better quality than the GT-2?

I also have a Blackstar HT-Drive - good pedal, but a bit limited in sound.

I record into my PC via a mixer - I use the Blackstar for live as I feel the pedal works better through amps - the sansamps work better through PA or mixer - hence i use the gt-2 more at home for recording.

So if anyone has any experiences of recording through a mixer with the gt-2 and classic - wouldn't mind knowing how the classic shapes up to the gt-2.

Ross

• Members

They are different beasts.

The GT2 is more limited in the tonal options, as it is designed for a plug and play approach.

The classic offers more control over the grain of the distortion, through the switches. However, compared to the GT2, it lacks a powerful post-distortion equalizer, necessary for mix placement.

• Members

I am only recording straight into a mixer into my computer with the gt-2 - getting descent results - would the classic enhance my recordings further?

When you say the classic lacks a powerful post-distortion equalizer - does this mean it wont sound as good in a mix in a song?

• Members

those clips sound good - have you recorded the pedal straight into the desk - or is that through an amp? -

I would be going straight into my mixer and into computer. How does it sound striaght into mixer?

• Members

Man, thinking of getting a classic - it sounds good online. What about the Tri-ac?

I had the Tri-ac once. Character series was better. Especially the Liverpool and California. Never had the classic.

If you're looking for tube amp tone direct via mixer I would consider stacking the blackstar HT drive with another pedal with amp tone. Use the HT's emulated out. AMT Legend Amp Series are suppose to be like the Character series but with a amp out. Never tried them though.

• Members

those clips sound good - have you recorded the pedal straight into the desk - or is that through an amp? -

I would be going straight into my mixer and into computer. How does it sound striaght into mixer?

I recorded those clips direct into a Fostex MR8 which is a pretty cheap entry level 8 track stand alone digital recorder. I have since replaced the MR8 with a Korg D1600 which is very nice 16 track workstation. I've recorded extensively using only the Sansamp Classic direct into the board with very good results. I used to have a Trademark 10 which is pretty much a GT-2 built into an amp and didn't like it (sold it). I do have a Trademark 60 which I love!

I recently bought a POD XT which is nice, fun, but IMO the Sansamp is pro.

• Members

I use the Classic for a perfect Eric Johnson Marshall tone. I've yet to hear another pedal including another SansAmp that nails it like the Classic. I use the Liverpool pedal for a "perfect" AC-30 tone. The Classic can't touch the Liverpool for that chimey, Beatley tone. So... it really depends on the sound you're after.

Archived