keeping digital gear in the garage

rvandenbroeck

• Members

I just moved to a new place that has a garage (first time having a garage in years!!). My plan is to keep my gigging gear in the garage while I'm not out gigging. This includes a Roland RD100 digital piano (in a case), Hammond XK2 (in a gig bag), Roland Fantom XR module (in a plastic box), Roland KC 500 amp, and Leslie 2101. The climate isn't too harsh (I live near San Jose, California) but there will definitely be some temperature changes. During the winter, temperatures can vary from about 35 degrees at the coldest to about 60 degrees at the warmest... during the summer, it can vary from about 60 to about 90 degrees. And oftentimes, we can have a difference of 15-20 degrees from the low at night to the high during the day. (I'm not too worried about humidity - we have pretty dry air.)

So far (only been there about a month), everything seems to be working fine but I am a little concerned to be doing this for the forseeable future. Is this a bad idea???

• Members

I leave my gear in the car for weeks at a time all year round and have been doing this for years and years. No issues.

In cold weather, it is good to allow time for it to warm up a bit, because the LCD screens are sometimes a little sluggish when warming up.

Temperatures in my area range from the low teens in the winter to upper 90s in the summer.

I would not worry about it.

Archived