Effects for Analog Synths

alcu

• Members

Why a G-Major? Probably find a Fireworx more useful for a keyboard and that does have excellent midi control.

TBH I dont know the G-Major - allways thought it was basically just a guitar processor and Ive never really been grabbed by guitars processors for generic use with keyboards.

G-Major is just a scaled down version, but you're right, has some features which cater to guitar players, such as Amp Channel switching and such. Although, the fireworx seems like a nice unit, compares to the G-Force, which also runs in the same ballpark of $1500! G-Major is $399!!! Like the Fireworx, it utilizes an 8x8 effect matrix so that you can place any effect (up to 7 I believe), in combination of serial or parallel.

I would like to learn a little more about the CV input. Obviously, this is an opportunity for using an expression pedal, but from what I'm reading, there are some cool things that can be done with Moogerfoogers and other modular synths...

• Members

Nevermind - It was the G-Force I was probably thinking of :)

Back on topic - for anlog synths - then naturally you good a nice analog overdrive, also suggest a decent analog compressor, and minimum of an interesting delay and a decent sounding reverb :)

So suggest -

SPL Charisma 2 - tube processor - great for anything from very sutble saturation to full on tube drive.

- alternaively, Tech 21 Sans-Amp PSA 1.1 - also a great overdrive unit - analog tube simulation.

TC M-One XL - my favourite non-high end reverb unit

TC D-Two - my favourite non high end delay unit

I quite like my dbx1066 compressor as well - it gets used for taming hard transients on my SE ATC-X and well as being a really nice overall submix compressor/pumper that I still havnt found matched by the various software compressors I have.

• Members

I almost sold my Lexicon (I bought the 300 -- the 200 would have been fine) for my Moog LP and decided against it -- it's mostly a reverb box -- but it really helps round out the sound some.

I have sold a Moog Phaser and MuRF. Maybe it's me but they seemed to be kinda one-trick ponies and not very aggressive. The Murf seems to be a guitar thing. I think I like flangers instead of phasers anyway.

I am tempted right now by a Frostwave Sonic Alienator, and maybe a good distortion pedal of some kind. (Of course that's also being fought my want of a decent drum machine).

Analog pedals are expensive though. It's hard to sample them around here so experimenting is based on looking at youtube and imagining things were not running through guitars. Sad :)

Thanks for suggestions here!

• Members

Former Eventide engineers. That's why. They know how to code and have the ear to make that code musical. I use their TDM plugs from when they were WaveMechanics. Good Stuff!
:thu:

cheers,

Ian

ha! I didn't know but I could spot the good sound right away. Quality doesn't fall from the sky I guess...it usually takes a fair amount of experience behind.

:thu:

Archived