Newbie question : Help me choose the size of my new keyboard !

The Unknown

• Members

Hi !

I've recently posted here to help me choose between an Alesis Micron and a Novation Xiosynth. After reading all the posts, I've checked the specs and sounds of both keyboards and decided to go with the Xiosynth.

Now here's the deal : should I go with th 25 or the 49 key version ?

You see, I'm a bass player (I also play upright bass and guitar) and I'm looking for a keyboard to record some arrangements and maybe program some stuff. I ain't gonna be spending that much time with the instrument... but I don't wanna feel shortchanged if you see what I mean.

I've made the good and bad list for both options and here's where I'm at :

25 key : smaller, more portable, easier to locate in my small home studio, more affordable, seems to do the job (after what I've seen from some videos on Youtube), and it's... well... cute to see such a small machine.

49 key : wider range of notes.

Now here's my question... for my use, which version should I get ? Would I miss something with the 25-key version ?

Thanks alot !

• Members

i'd go with the 49 personally, but it depends how much you intend to transport the keyb..

For now... I don't think I'd carry it much... and as a bass player using an Ampeg SVT, carrying a 49 key synth isn't much of a task really...

But... I guess the 100$ difference is what makes me think... and the fact that the 25 key version seemed to have more press coverage and that more people as the 25 key version... and the fact it might be enough for me... but still...

Archived