Processing with Modulation / Synth Effects...

cada7

• Members

Yes, to expand my sound I'm looking for something which will add basic filter sweep capabilities (doing 'Joker and the Thief' this week in fact, but have to use the rather coarse Filtron in my Tonelab LE), and essentially sample and hold textures.

Am very intrigued by the Dave Smith MoPho and have played a bit with it - I think this would do the trick but want to make sure I can defeat the OSC's and just apply the filter effects. Also a little concerned about real time control whether it works well or not.

Tried the Line 6 FM4 which hinted at what I wanted but I just couldn't love it for some reason. My favorite were the Wah-type but I just simply bought a 535Q for that.

Also tried Mooger Fooger Filter and it sounded fantastic, but expensive and perhaps not as versatile as I'd like. Still like very much though.

Curious about plugging in through something like an Alesis Ion or Korg MicroKorg, etc.

Also noticed the Electro-Harmonix Synth box.

Any good experimentation?

• Members

Thanks Monolith...

I am assuming you can turn off the OSC's in the sequences with the Mopho and just use the filter / LFO, etc to process the signal, but we had a hard time figuring out how to do this. I was able to get some great effects on the guitar, but the OSC's droned along with it, too...

I will definitely check out those other options. Thanks for the tips.

• Members

There's a bunch of interesting Mod/Filter/Synth sounds in the Line 6 M13.

They are all from the FM4

I'm pretty sure you by-pass the OSC in the Moph when you plug in an audio source. I remember looking into this a few years ago and it seemed like there were quite a few synths out there that let you just use their filter sections with external audio sources.

• Members

Thanks folks,

MM240 on a similar post answered all of my quesitons about the MoPho. Simply put it is not really workable for a guitar rig (particularly live). It is now off my list.

The subdecay prometheus sounds quite usable for what I am thinking. I might have to test-drive one. Or maybe the Moog Murf.

• Members

I have new appreciation for my Tonelab LE after playing around with the Bi-Phaser today, using the Expression pedal to control depth and rolling off the tone knob to zero on the ax. I am going to try it out tonight and see how it fits in with the song. I've got to say it is quite musical and subtle. Although not tweakable for a lot of parameters it does have good range of resonance which is the key.

Archived