Building my own footswitcheroo

matt the rat

• Members

So I've been using a cheesy fender footswitch for my Orange for nearly a year now, and its beginning to fall apart on me. Channels get switched when the cord is stepped on, sometimes I get stuck between channels (I think) and generally its just been suckin.

I would just buy one of the shiny Orange footswitches and a guitar cable to replace it, but I've grown to like the fenders smaller footprint, and I also would just like to try my hand at building my own footswitch so that I could repair it as I beat it up and break it, which I know will happen.

Has anyone done this or seen anything online that would help me out in this task? Its a 1/4th inch guitar jack style, not the fancy shmancy din plugs that some amps use.

Man, I make the longest posts for the simplest {censored}.

• Members

here's what you can try to determine how to wire the switch [though it's not entirely necessary]:

plug an instrument cable into the footswitch jack. cut the ends of the cable and expose both the ground and signal wires. get a SPST footswitch and touch the wire ends to each connection. click the switch. did it change channels? if not, flip the wires around so they're touching the opposite contacts. try again.

it should work. you either have to make or break a connection to switch channels [most of the time], so a simple SPST switch should work. connect it to a 1/4" jack in an enclosure and use any old instrument cable.

Archived