Little Phatty or save up for a Voyager?

funk5

• Members

And remember that the Voyager RME doesn't have any CV inputs. You'll have to use a CP-351 AND a CP-352 to input into an RME.

And while there isn't an output for a 351, you an still get plenty of insanity by directly hooking up a CP-251 Control Processor to a LP.

-bruce

-bruce

There's a VX-352 for the RME that will dramatically increase the number of CV inputs.

Looks like the Voyager line is the last production line of keyboards left that still has CV outputs. Other than that, you pretty much have to DIY or settle for a regular keyboard + MIDI-CV converter.

• Members

BTW, I've been trying to research the MIDI out functionality of both Moog keyboards. I've found mention of being able to chain other Moogs to form chords, but...

If I plug the MIDI Out of either the Voyager or the Phatty into the MIDI In of a generic rompler and play a chord, will I get a chord out of the rompler or not?

• Members

I heard that you can program the pitch bend amount to different intervals going up and down for the pitch wheel on the Little Phatty, can the Voyager do this?

Yes it can. See page 40 of the current manual under section 1.4. You can save interval amounts *per patch*.

-bruce

• Members

BTW, I've been trying to research the MIDI out functionality of both Moog keyboards. I've found mention of being able to chain other Moogs to form chords, but...

If I plug the MIDI Out of either the Voyager or the Phatty into the MIDI In of a generic rompler and play a chord, will I get a chord out of the rompler or not?

Yes, they both transmit poly via midi.

-bruce

• Members

There's a VX-352 for the RME that will dramatically increase the number of CV inputs.

Yes, I know. I should have been a little clearer. It's one of the sticking points for me -- which to get first, the 251 control processor (which I can use immediately with the LP, but not the RME) or wait until I can get both at the same time? UGH. :rolleyes:

-bruce

• Members

I have 3 moogerfoogers (murf, low pass, and freqbox) and I guess I'm a little confused on what the CV controller is for.

I'm planning on getting a Little Phatty also. I *might* also get a ring mod moogerfooger...still iffy on that one.

Could someone fill me in on the type of stuff the CV controller would let me do?

Thanks.

• Members

Yes, they both transmit poly via midi.

-bruce

Thanks! I realized I used the wrong keywords in my Googling. I also found that, at least in the Voyager's case, there are multiple priority options for which note of the chord the Voyager will play.

Nevandal, while you're waiting for the experienced Moog folks to fill you in, there's a Jordan Rudess video giving an example of using the Phatty with CP-251 and 'foogers on the Phatty product page:

http://moogmusic.com/littlephatty/?section=product&product_id=254

• Members

"Could someone fill me in on the type of stuff the CV controller would let me do?"

Not having one either, it seems to be there to provide LFO's for various things you would normally control via footpedal or knobs. (Which, to me, is not super interesting as I'm not crazy about being able to turn all my knobs at once, and if I were, I'd get Moog's new $$$ footpedal).

• Members

If the LP had of been out when I was buying a new Moog to replace my Source for gigging I would have opted for that as I already had a Mini D. That being said, I have a love/hate relationship with my Voyager - with the presets I just get lazy and whereas with The Source and Mini D I was always in "program mode". The Voyager is a fantastic instrument and I admit to only scratching the surface of it but given that I plan on having this for years it will be fun to learn and stop being lazy. I had thought of selling the V and buying a Prophet 08 but after wknd of being loaned the 08, I decided to stick with the V as it just fits my needs better at this time.

• Members

I had thought of selling the V and buying a Prophet 08 but after wknd of being loaned the 08, I decided to stick with the V as it just fits my needs better at this time.

The Prophet was that good, wasn't it?

• 2 months later...

Archived