Trade my Roland JP8000 for a Juno 60?

funk5

• Members

I may have an opportunity to trade a friend my JP8000 for his Juno 60. I have played it on many occasion, and I can tell you that even though it is not as versatile as the JP, it sounds SO much better obviously due to it being analog. I don't know for sure if he is down with it or not yet, but the only issue on the Juno is that I think it needs a new battery because when you turn it off after saving sounds the memory gets wiped. That should be an easy fix, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the battery on the Juno is soldered on or not? The only problem on the JP is the second oscillator tuning knob is whacky, but you can get around that by holding down a shift button, and using the bank select buttons to change its value, that and it's seen it's better days, but isn't too bad cosmetically. I think I will do it if it works out. Even though I have grown fond of the JP, I'm also getting a little bored with it, and don't really like its filter. What do you think, a good deal?

• Members

No. The JP8000 is worth more than the Juno-60 on the used market, so he should be willing to offer you the Juno-60 + cash or you could just sell the JP8K and then buy a Juno-60, have some extra cash, and not worry about the battery issue with your friend's Juno-60.

• Members

i could be wrong, but i'm quite certain the juno 60 is worth more than the jp8000. and if isn't... it will be soon, or at least eventually. the jp's value, being a newer VA will only go down where as the juno will only go up.

i'd trade for it for the juno in a heartbeat, but only under the condition that if a new battery doesn't fix the problem he has to take it back.:)

• Members

not sure... but i think they're fairly common batteries... like radioshack common. could be wrong though.

funny story, a friend of mine had memory troubles with his juno 60 and opened it up to find who ever had it before him rigged up the power supply with a tv remote control and was using AA batteries to power the memory.

crazy... but we put fresh AA's in there and it worked!

• Members

Nope. You could sell your current board and savesome bucks hunting around for a good deal on the Juno. If you prefer the Juno, get it, but do it right and spend your saved casholoa on wine, women and song. Granted you won't have much to spend and the wine and women'll be cheap, but the music'll be as good as you can sing after all that cheap wine.

• Members

it sounds SO much better What do you think, a good deal?

mariahjunoql0.jpg

NOTE: originally inspired by a Juno-60 owning M.C. fan ... (I think 'fan' is too tame ... )

What some others say about the JP fetching higher price may be true ... but the Juno is WORTH more ... unless you have good karma to spare, I'd not worry about the cash dif if he's a friend ... (And if he's a true synth aficionado, he'll be mad enough when he realizes what he did ... )

beholdqh1.jpg

• Members

Depends on how many JP8000s are out there. Among those who really use it, its value is pretty high.

i could be wrong, but i'm quite certain the juno 60 is worth more than the jp8000. and if isn't... it will be soon, or at least eventually. the jp's value, being a newer VA will only go down where as the juno will only go up.

i'd trade for it for the juno in a heartbeat, but only under the condition that if a new battery doesn't fix the problem he has to take it back.
:)

• Members

I don't think the Juno is worth anymore than $400 tops! Just because it's analogue doesn't mean it's worth a ton. It's a bread and butter poly-synth. Nothing spectacular about it. It sounds good, but not GREAT! I'd say keep the JP, and wait to find a good deal on Juno-60.

Archived