Line 6 M9 vs. Magicstomp

LR Weizel

• Members

Okay, so I'm looking into getting a Multifx that'll let me mix and match stuff and make crazy ambient sounds, and these look like the best two. Ideally, I'd like decent Chorus and Flanger too, but I'm a bit more tolerant of digital sounding Chorus than I used to be.

The M9 obviously costs a lot more than the Magicstomp - but it also may have higher quality effects. The M9 is more about modelling specific effects whereas the Magicstomp seems to offer more generic ones but lets you go crazy with them.

I've heard some great ambient shoegazy goth-rock type stuff from both. I think the M9 can do octave reverb though, which I don't think the Magicstomp can do. However, it can do Octaved delay.

Both of them are based on pretty old technology(well, both are about 5 years old now). I'm wondering if they've improved the quality of modeling on the M9 over the older modelers.

The Magicstomp is definitely a bit harder to work with, and doesn't let you as easily access the patches. The M9 also has a looper, which is very handy, though I think there's a way to configure delays to work as a looper on the magicstomp.

Which would would work for me do you think? Keeping in mind how much more the M9 costs. I don't want to get it if the Tech isn't "that" much better than the Magicstomp.

My main worries with either unit are -

M9:

Won't give me the level of control over various settings the Magicstomp will(like putting Vibrato to ridiculous HFF levels)

Costs a lot, and is based on older technology.

No amp modeling(The Magicstomp's is kind of naff, but at least it's there, it has that one good Bassman sound).

Magicstomp:

Might be too frustrating to work with to be any fun, I don't want to spend all day programming a preset and then play it, I want to play around with it on the fly.

Modulation effects may be overly "digital" and metallic sounding compared to the M9.

Not many Synth/Filter effects

• Members

Okay, so I'm looking into getting a Multifx that'll let me mix and match stuff and make crazy ambient sounds, and these look like the best two. Ideally, I'd like decent Chorus and Flanger too, but I'm a bit more tolerant of digital sounding Chorus than I used to be.

The M9 obviously costs a lot more than the Magicstomp - but it also may have higher quality effects. The M9 is more about modelling specific effects whereas the Magicstomp seems to offer more generic ones but lets you go crazy with them.

I've heard some great ambient shoegazy goth-rock type stuff from both. I think the M9 can do octave reverb though, which I don't think the Magicstomp can do. However, it can do Octaved delay.

Both of them are based on pretty old technology(well, both are about 5 years old now). I'm wondering if they've improved the quality of modeling on the M9 over the older modelers.

The Magicstomp is definitely a bit harder to work with, and doesn't let you as easily access the patches. The M9 also has a looper, which is very handy, though I think there's a way to configure delays to work as a looper on the magicstomp.

Which would would work for me do you think? Keeping in mind how much more the M9 costs. I don't want to get it if the Tech isn't "that" much better than the Magicstomp.

My main worries with either unit are -

M9:

Won't give me the level of control over various settings the Magicstomp will(like putting Vibrato to ridiculous HFF levels)

Costs a lot, and is based on older technology.

No amp modeling(The Magicstomp's is kind of naff, but at least it's there, it has that one good Bassman sound).

Magicstomp:

Might be too frustrating to work with to be any fun, I don't want to spend all day programming a preset and then play it, I want to play around with it on the fly.

Modulation effects may be overly "digital" and metallic sounding compared to the M9.

Not many Synth/Filter effects

Too different to compare - i use both an M13 and Magicstomp.

I'd recommend the M9 - simply for the fact that you can use more than one effect at the same time. The yamaha is a good pedal to complement others but you can only have one effect at a time.

• Members

The appeal of the M9 is the size, plus it's $100 cheaper. No way I can afford an M13 space or money wise. $500 is too much since I could buy a lot of single effects that are exactly what I want for that.

Are there any other multi-fx that would be a good bet?

• Members

I want to mix and match and play with effects more than most multi-effects allow.

I can't think of a unit that will allow you to do this to a higher degree than the M13; I imagine the M9 is a close second.

Personally, I'm interested in trying the Magicstomp. I'm guessing it can do some stuff the Line 6 cannot. But as far as using several effects at once, the M series wins for sure.

Archived