Powering a Vox DA5

LR Weizel

• Members

I don't think mine came with an adapter. I got it a while ago and I can't find one anyway.

However I think I found one that might. It's an adapter I got to replace the stock one on my Yamaha PSR260 way back when, which takes between 10-12V.

Unfortunately the Voltage bit has been scraped off -

adapter.jpg

It says 5 volt there, but there's another number before it that starts with a 1 and has the remnanets of another number after it, then a space(or a completely scratched off number), then a 5. It could be 10.5V, 12.5V, or 12/5V. I'm not sure how I'd tell. I know with effects pedals you can run them with slightly different voltages, but the DA5 is a digital Device. Is it very specific about the amount of Voltage going into it?

Is there any way to know the voltage of this adapter?

Also, does the DA5 sound notably better when powered by mains then when off batteries? I need to set up my Dad's Epiphone Dot with this tonight. Thanks.

• Members

The DA5 needs 12 volts DC, center positive and draws 390mA according to the specs. I'd recommend a supply with at least 500mA.

If you have a multimeter, measuring the output voltage of the adapter you have there would be a doddle - and you'd also find out the plug polarity at the same time.

As the DA5 is digital, battery or adapter power shouldn't make any difference in the sound.

/Andreas

Archived