Magicstomp Versatility...

LR Weizel

• Members

I've been considering getting one as a cheaper alternative to M9 but I'm wondering exactly what you can do with it.

For example I hear it has a very good Ring Mod, but if I wanted to use that with the Reverb, would I be able to do that? It'd be nice to make bell sounds. I know there's a limit to what you can have simultaneously but how is it decided?

• Members

Never selling mine. The presets are really great, and the main reason I keep it. I never mess around with making my own for it, I'd rather spend the time experimenting with what's already there. If I ever get bored with what's in it now I can always get some more from the internet. I filled up all the user presets with more of the premade ones that came on the CD. India Drown!

• Members

I don't know realistically how much I'll need to combine effects since I'll be using it with a proper effects rig anyway most likely(Small Clone, Moon Phaser, Memory Boy, whatever else I pick up).

Is there any good list of what effects I can combine? Also, isn't it possible to get new presets? Are those just new settings I could have made myself, or do they unlock extra combinations etc.?

• Members

just download the manual. yes you can have more than one effect on, but only in combinations yamaha set up beforehand.

... and most of these chains consist of only two parallel or series effects blocks, e.g., rev+chorus, rev>chorus, rev+flange, etc. If you are looking for an all-purpose stompbox to provide one or two effects at a time and aren't opposed to rack-style interfaces, the Magicstomp is easily worth the price of admission. I'm actually having second thoughts about selling mine.

• Members

I thought it was a disappointment compared to the DG-Stomp.

In terms of durability and design, perhaps ... but not so much with regard to features.

[EDIT:] The Magicstomp doesn't have tap tempo, footswitchable looping, or expression pedal control, but can create many of the same multi-band delay sounds and even has UD stomp presets.

[EDIT#2:] The above statements were made in error. I mistook the DG stomp for the UD stomp. :facepalm:

• Members

The Magicstomp doesn't have tap tempo, footswitchable looping, or expression pedal control, but can create many of the same multi-band delay sounds and even has UD stomp presets.

Maybe. What I liked about the DG, in addition to the ruggedness, was that you could use it like individual stompboxes, it was possible to turn off the modeling, and you could sort of bypass the unit.

I always wished Yamaha upgraded the DG rather than make the Magic. Add tap-tremolo and let you put the reverb before the tremolo, like on an amp.

Archived