Sansamp GT2 question

gibsualdo

• Members

I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but I can't figure out why exactly my Sansamp GT2 doesn't play how I want it to with a TS9 or SD1. With the GT2 at high gain settings (British or California), using either of the aforementioned overdrive pedals for clean boost or not so clean boost, results in the sound getting way too squashed. I'm getting terrible volume drop and serious compression, even with the drive rolled right back. With the GT2's drive rolled right back, on the clean Tweed setting, the SD1 and TS9 both function quite well (though neither get particularly full on distortion-wise, as you'd probably expect).

Now, I know the GT2 is just a tube amp emulator and thus I shouldn't expect it to function as one, but I'm just wondering why these overdrive pedals flake out infront of it, when they perform so well infront of an already overdriven tube amp. It's like they act as limiters, even with the drive rolled right back.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

• Members

Cool, I'll definitely be taking a look at the Zvex and Xotic pedals you mentioned.

I'm not too knowledgable when it comes to technical malarky like impedance, but if this has anything to do with Sansamps being low impedance and the TS9 and SD1 high, then I guess that could just be it.

Thanks for the suggestions, The Realm :)

• Members

I used my GT-2 today on the Cali setting, gain past noon, boosting it with a Colorsound Power Boost clone. twas rippin.

try backing way off the gain on whatever you're boosting it with, you want as clean a boost as possible when using such high gain settings on the GT-2.

So my RAT won't be as good as my Bad Monkey set for a clean boost? I'm mainly interested in how well does it do in the Fender/Vox-ish area and using an external pedal for gain, both to an amp and direct, have you ever tried doing so?

Archived