Wurli 200 - yes or no ?

gilwe

• Members

I generally tend to like "heavier" pianos, like the Rhodes and CP. The Wurli does feel like a toy when comparing to them both, but as you said, it's a different instrument.

Yep!!! The Wurly has a really light action compared to that of the Rhodes... I would wait on the Wurly and see what happens, with the US Economic crisis many people will be letting go of their gear, including vintage EPs..

• Members

The Wurli IS mine ! :thu:

I love it and I cherish it and I want to keep it to death !

It ended up being even a 130$ more, as we added the custom made

flight case, but who cares... it's beautiful and in perfect condition.

Brand new sustain pedal as well.

I'll do some wood refurbish work and will probably refurbish/upgrade the amp and replace the

speakers to better/louder ones (any suggestions ?)

Cheers !

:wave:

• Members

The Wurli IS mine !
:thu:

I'll do some wood refurbish work and will probably refurbish/upgrade the amp and replace the

speakers to better/louder ones (any suggestions ?)

Congrats on the wurlie! I remember getting mine...I was ecstatic :thu:

Are you planning on playing out with it, or is it just for your home studio? I thought the stock speakers were fine - as well as the stock amp. If it dies on you, just rebuild it. I'd avoid thinking about what stuff you want to replace - just fix stuff when it breaks! It sounds like heaven *bone* stock!

If you're planning on playing out (or if you want more volume at home) I had great success plugging it into my '65 Fender Bassman tube head (any tube amp would sound good, I'd think)

• Members

Thanks guys !

Yep, I'm starting to really love this little electric ! It is so special,

so gently built and has that mellow piano sound :thu:

Once it is going into that little refurbishment I'll set up a small area in my

apartement where I plan to place the Rhodes, Wurli, Pianet T and the Yamaha Harmonium, along with my Silverface Twin Reverb, with some lush guitar pedals like the CE-1 (currently own the CE-2 actually), Vibratos etc. The Twin has 4 inputs so no problem letting them all in ;)

Problem is that I can't let them all in my studio as no space is really left there for other keyboards. I think I'll have to find some convenient way to take my sound interface out of the studio for recording using a laptop. But anyway, these are really the instrument to be played !

As for the case, the first thing that came to my mind is that this would be a really cool piano to get live with ! Taking out a Rhodes or a CP is a pita...

... and as for the amp - well, the speakers do sound cheesy to me. I think they really need some kind of upgrade. I even consider taking the entire amp+speakers out and replace them with a little tube amp and better/louder speakers. Running the Wurli though a Blackface Champ should sound heaven as well I guess ;) It has one of the best vibratos I've ever heard... :thu:

• Members

If you're planning on playing out (or if you want more volume at home) I had great success plugging it into my '65 Fender Bassman tube head (any tube amp would sound good, I'd think)

:thu::thu:

I remember my Bassman 50 - very warm sound. That's one reason I bought the SVT-3 (well, for the gritty organ sound, too!).

• Members

Congratulations! Wurlis are beautiful. A lot of people think you have to choose one or the other (the other being a Rhodes). Once you have both, you love both. Although they're theoretically very similar and it's sometimes hard to pick out on record which is which, when you have them both in your living room, they're worlds apart and both completely crucial to your creativity. It's true that the Wurly isn't as heavy or substantial as a Rhodes or CP, but there's nothing lightweight or less than world class about the sound and playability. The jokers that say their Motif 8 gets the same sound don't have the real thing. I'd take a good electromechanical piano over 100 ROMplers.

• Members

hehe sure :)

It IS a work of art indeed ! I played it last night a few hours and couldn't stop !

I ran it though a multieffect with some reverbs, chorus, phasers, tremolos and delays.

Sounds awesome. Is is beautifully constructed and is one of the most unique instruments I ever played and owned.

I intend to run it through a little refurbishment work, do some paint at the back,

replace (or rewire?) the transformer so it works on 230v, may be some cap job,

cosmetic job on the key which has a cigarette burn on it :freak:

Cheers !

• Members

Thanks guys !

Once it is going into that little refurbishment I'll set up a small area in my

apartement where I plan to place the Rhodes, Wurli, Pianet T and the Yamaha Harmonium, along with my Silverface Twin Reverb, with some lush guitar pedals like the CE-1 (currently own the CE-2 actually), Vibratos etc. The Twin has 4 inputs so no problem letting them all in
;)

As for the case, the first thing that came to my mind is that this would be a really cool piano to get live with ! Taking out a Rhodes or a CP is a pita...

The twin will be perfect for it. Lots of clean headroom :thu: If you want more grit, all you gotta do is turn up the volume pot on the Wurlie. Or you can add a tube screamer (I used one, sounded pretty good, but I prefer to go direct, as the more processing you do to the signal makes it sound more and more like a motif or something)

If you're planning on playing the Wurlie live, bring along extra parts and know how to tune it. Moving it around/exposing it to varying temps will throw it out of tune, and it'll be a major pain in the ass.

• Members

The twin will be perfect for it. Lots of clean headroom
:thu:
If you want more grit, all you gotta do is turn up the volume pot on the Wurlie. Or you can add a tube screamer (I used one, sounded pretty good, but I prefer to go direct, as the more processing you do to the signal makes it sound more and more like a motif or something)

If you're planning on playing the Wurlie live, bring along extra parts and know how to tune it. Moving it around/exposing it to varying temps will throw it out of tune, and it'll be a major pain in the ass.

Actually, I tried to run it through a sterile sounding Digitech cheap multi,

and find it soudning quite awesome !! Engaged the chorus, reverb, delay and the Wurli's vibrato. "Logical Song" has never sounded better :D

I actually find it too bassy trough the Twin... :rolleyes:

and as for the price... yah know, we somehow find it just fine to put that kind of money on vintage guitars,

why wouldn't we do the same about vintage keyboards ?... just a thought.

I know about the tunning procedure and rather prefer keeping it indoor. I'm keen on starting soldering iron tuning procedures...

• Members

Heh, I'm a bit leery of starting any work on mine. Not sure what kind of beastly project I might unleash!

I've always found the rounded top a little inconvenient since you can't lay another keyboard on top of it easily.

There are a set of key weights sold that are supposed to improve the heft and responsiveness of the action. Anyone tried them?

http://www.vintagevibe.com/p-320-wurlitzer-electric-piano-key-weights.aspx

Key weights are used to give the piano a more substantial feel. The action feels more weighted like a real grand piano. The key weights also help in problamatic action, such as a worn action that no longer has any " feel to it" an action that no longer has tension or snap. When a piano is not regulated properly the keys can become sluggish and not return fast enough, the weights on the end of the key counter act this issue and drop the key immediately, which drops the whip assembly just as fast in reaction to the keys movement. This helps in fast and slow movements otherwise the fly gets caught up in the hammers catcher and trips up the hammer. The results of a poorly regulated action are double striking, hammers that are tripped up on slow movements with a sustain pedal engaged. etc etc..

I remember being stunned the first time I managed a double strike on my 206. It's obviously not a 'perfect' or 'desired' trait, but it's also something real and physical. That's part of what makes the feel so lovely, and is so hard to emulate. It sets the keyboard apart from simulations since it's a 'real instrument'.

Archived