Cable management: tips and tricks??

• Members

If I could trade in shed fur for talent, I'd be Mozart. I wonder if a nice coat of shellac on the pets will help...

Lacquer maybe, or varnish... shellac is edible (see M&M's) and they would likely just ingest it, with end results I am sure would be amusing :eek:

• 9 years later...
  • Members
Cabling, IMHO, is the make-or-break part of set up.

Too many buy inferior cables, that lose their hi-end, become brittle, have noise issues, poor plugs etc..

So I offer these few steps (feel free forum to add as you see fit)

1) SPEND the extra $ to get the best cabling you can afford or afford to custom make yourself.

2) Dont use a 50' cable for patch cord. Make or buy the right cable for the right distance. All of the extra rubber gets in the way and may add potential noise

3) Cut down you power cords' length. Go to a hardware store and get new plugs. Its easier than you think.

4) Get your cables off the floor: mount power strips, install patch bays.

static electricity build up in carpets too- so you wont want that next to your data lines.

5) Isolate your lines: Keep MIDI and audio away from all power lines, use tubing to insulate and segregate.

6) LABEL EVERYTHING!!! Nothing ruins the creative process more than finding a problem with your cabling and not knowing which one it is.

7) You can never have enough cable ties, BUT test everything first before you commit to tying them down. And snip those loose ends close otherwise you can get cut reaching around them in the dark.

8) Know your rig. Is it balanced/unbalanced? Is your voltage regulated and your power conditioned? Have you isolated your circuits?

9) When given an option go for the jack which has the better connection: AES/EBU over SPDF, TRS over RCA etc.

10) LEARN HOW TO SOLDER! And keep those tools handy.

For me, number 7 is a must! Best friend of mine bought me for birthday the most useful present ever! Labeling machine! You just need to label it from both sides with specific title and symbols. If somebody is interested, I can show some tips and tricks with this or similar label printer.

Archived