Roland JV-1080

gilR

• Members

Hi,

Newbie here. I'm going to be buying a Roland JV-1080 rack synth. I have never owned a hardware synth before, and the 1080 fits my needs and budget perfectly. Having never owned a hardware synth before, I'm wondering what equipment would be needed to run the synth, other than the keyboard and MIDI cables. Also, are there any preloaded or expansion packs for the 1080 that are Gibson-like guitars?

Thanks,

Gil.

• Members

Speakers?
:)

Hi Yoozer,

I have speakers. I'm wondering what hardware would be required for recording. My brother who is a guitarist said that an amplifier and/or mixer would be needed, but he's not exactly a credible source of info. :)

• Members

You need a mixer when you have more than one synthesizer, or when you want to add other instruments or vocals to what you're doing.

If you go on the computer-based route, a soundcard geared towards making music (aka audio interface) may substitute as a limited, small-size mixer for a while (if it's got like 4 or 6 inputs).

Passive speakers are driven by an amplifier, so you get a chain like:

synthesizer > mixer inputs

mixer outputs > amplifier inputs

amplifier speaker outputs > speakers

If you only have one synth and omit the mixer, then you plug your synth directly into the amplifier inputs.

A keyboard amplifier has the amplifier and the speakers built in a single box. Active speakers have their own amplifiers built in, too, and you plug in the left and right outputs of the mixer.

If you want to record, you need one of these things:

- a computer

- a harddisk recorder

- a compact flash-drive based recorder

- a cd-writer

- a taperecorder

Which you are going to pick depends on your preference and budget.

• Members

Hi Yoozer,

I plan on having one and only synth/audio input. Everything else I need (which would probably only be drums/percussion) would be done via software synths.

So if I want to connect only ONE synth to the audio input of the computer, would I still need an amplifier, or would I just need to connect the Left and Right audio outputs directly to the interface.

Thanks!

• Members

Depending upon what kind of computer/sound card you're going to be using, you may want to consider an audio interface. These come in many varieties, but even something simple like this M-Audio MobilePre may do a better job of recording the JV1080 than just the little line input jack on a sound card.

The JV1080 can accommodate up to four of the Roland SR-JV series expansion boards. I have the session board (very good), bass and drum board (basses are excellent, drums are so-so), and vintage synth board (relatively weak IMHO). There are some electric guitar presets in the JV1080, but I don't find these to be the instrument's strongest sounds.

• Members

Hi keybdwizrd,

I've seen your 1080 videos on YouTube! They are excellent!!! As for now, I don't have much of an option but to use the Line In. I will definitely be getting an audio interface in the very near future. Would it be better to connect the Phones output of the 1080 to the Line In on the computer, as opposed to having the two seperate Left and Right cables, then an adapter to combine the two?

Thanks everyone for all of your help!!!

• Members

Would it be better to connect the Phones output of the 1080 to the Line In on the computer, as opposed to having the two seperate Left and Right cables, then an adapter to combine the two?

Hmmm.... you could try that... I am not an audio guru, but the headphone out is somewhat amplified... probably best to use the regular outs, but find a cable like this for the soundcard (as opposed to one of those little adapters):

sp-phon-mini-2.jpg

Glad you've enjoyed the videos.

Archived