Liverpool, Blonde or California

CoqBelliqueux

• Members

I think the new ones (leeds, steel, oxford) will be the ones to watch for. Saw a demo of the steel doing both cleans and metal pretty well.

Plus they will have the option to turn off speaker emulation, which will eliminate the need to put the pedal in the effects loop and increase its usefulness in a "normal" setup (ie, guitar > pedals > amp).

• Members
So, how did church go?

Thanks for the reminder- I had lost track of this thread. :)

Church was interesting. I was really unhappy with my tone at first- I was using my new Direct Drive into the Blonde into the PA, but my monitor was a crappy Hot Spot. All I was getting out of the monitor was fuzz- no definition, no clarity. After first service, I listened to the recording, and it was clean. Not a fantastic tone, by any means, but WAY better than what I was getting through the monitor. Second service went the same way, even though I went into the back between services and tweaked the Direct Drive to a decent tone. Once I went back to the PA, it was sludge.

Frustrated, I came back home, plugged up a PA head and monitor wedge, and started working. I ran it back and forth against my Traynor, and although I was never able to get it anywhere even CLOSE to my Traynor (don't know why it would, being a Fender sim), I was able to get a pretty good pushed amp tone that takes pedals well.

The EQ knobs are SO sensitive. Just a touch does it- that's why you see all the demos running every knob at noon. Get too far away from noon and things start getting extreme. I've discovered that the character knob is a better way to get in the EQ ballpark, and then you can use the EQ to tweak to taste.

Anyway, the end result is a product I could run direct that sounds at least as good as my Valve Jr, and takes pedals better. Now I need to spend a little more time with the Direct Drive to get it really good and dialed in. Oh, and I think I may bring a wedge monitor to church with me next time to see if that helps.

Archived