Roland XP50 programming question

JMS 2

• Members

I have a performance set up so the keys trigger one sound/patch when the C1 slider is all down and another patch when I raise it up. The corresponding patches have their amplitude connected to sysctr1 i.e.

- patch1 has its volume set to 1 and a level+63 assignment on sysctr1

- patch2 has its volume set to 127 and a level-63 assignment on sysctr1

(Sysctr1 being assigned to the C1 slider)

It

• Members

I have an XP-30, very similar to your vaporators in most respects.

Perhaps sysctl1 is actually mapped to the MIDI channel aftertouch message? Possibly the slider and the aftertouch are sending the same thing?

If you descend deep into the menus, possibly you can redefine sysctl1 to another MIDI message. I'm not sure, it's been a while. Best of luck.

• Members

It sounds like SysCtrl 1 is assigned to aftertouch. Go into your control settings in System and set it to something else.

Or just ditch System Control. I'm not a big fan of this Roland feature because of things like this, where hidden things can occur. You can set up the whole thing with a specific c.c.number like 11 (expression). You would use c.c.11 expression as your patch control source and C1 slider assign. Or any c.c. number.

• Members

Thank you very much, sounds like a good plan

Mmmmm .... on the other hand I DO use the aftertouch for one song.

Am I right supposing that the aftertouch assignement acts at system level, not at patch/performance level ? Either ON for all or OFF for all ?

That would be a bummer ...

• Members

As long as you have aftertouch turned on as a control source in the patch, that patch will recognize it from the keyboard. System Control definitions have no effect on that.

And that's what System Control is. It is a controller definition. What is does is let you change control sources for all patches en masse by redefining the source through the device of System Control.

It can be handy at times. But it's an extra layer. By setting control sources directly you can see what's happening much easier because there it is... the actual name or c.c.number of the source listed in patch edit.

• Members

I got it working thanks

But I could not ditch system control completely, instead I left patch control 1 assigned to systctr 1 which I set to CC#20. Then I assigned the C1 slider to CC#20 as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you cannot put a custom (not predefined) CC#

as patch control assignment (neither on the pedal assignments it seems) ?

Archived