Please Help (Mbox2 content)

gtrmaestro

• Members

I know this should be in the recording forum but hardly anyone goes there so I'm posting here too! I'm brand new to DAW recording, I found a deal on a Mbox 2 with M-Audio monitors and the Factory Studio Bundle for a crazy low price but it has no Pro Tools software. I have a copy of Cubase and I also have downloaded Audacity. Can I use the Mbox with these or do I need Protools? I am using a PC with 750 gig harddrive and 4 gigs Ram. I REALLY need an answer by tommorrow if possible as I'm supposed to buy the Mbox tommorrow afternoon.

Thanks a ton!!

• Members

researched this before, some guy from the "audacity team" said that he has yet to hear of someone getting the two to work together, because they're inherently associated with different types of drivers or something

• Members

well you need the mbox plugged in for pro tools to work and you need pro tools for the mbox to work.. they are pretty much linked together no matter how you do it.

+1, but you can get a copy of PT Lite or something and just never use it. As long as the drivers are all in there. I record with my Mbox into Logic all the time and it always works fine.

• Members

Do you think it's worth just getting Pro Tools and forgetting about Cubase altogether? I've heard that the plug ins are crazy expensive and that you can't use the Cubase plug-ins with Pro Tools.

i have never used cubase, and i only use the stock plug ins for pro tools but i really dig it. super easy to use and has pretty much everything i need. The factory bundles come with ALOT more plugins to really push the envelope. I think for some of the higher end plugins, they are going to be expensive no matter what route you go. and.. It is simple enough for people who are just starting the home recording journey (like me) but at the same time, it has many of the capabilities of all the higher end programs. if you end up getting an mbox 2, youre going to have to get at least the most basic version of protools, so give it a try, see how you like it, and then upgrade from there depending on how you dig it! but i have nothing except for positive things to say about pro tools and the mbox :thu:

hopefully phil will chime in, he is a lot lot lot better with this kinda stuff

• Members

m-powered is for the m -audio interfaces. le is for the mbox and racks (002,003...)

cubases uses VST plugins, and pro tools le/m-powered uses RTAS for the native plugins. you could get a vst to rtas wrapper though. that will allow you to use VST plugins in pro tools.

• Members
i have never used cubase, and i only use the stock plug ins for pro tools but i really dig it. super easy to use and has pretty much everything i need. The factory bundles come with ALOT more plugins to really push the envelope. I think for some of the higher end plugins, they are going to be expensive no matter what route you go. and.. It is simple enough for people who are just starting the home recording journey (like me) but at the same time, it has many of the capabilities of all the higher end programs. if you end up getting an mbox 2, youre going to have to get at least the most basic version of protools, so give it a try, see how you like it, and then upgrade from there depending on how you dig it! but i have nothing except for positive things to say about pro tools and the mbox
:thu:

hopefully phil will chime in, he is a lot lot lot better with this kinda stuff

Nope, it won't come with Pro Tools because I'm getting it secondhand. I'll have to buy it or get it donated to have it. Thanks though.

Archived