Looking to trade my Traynor head for something "cleaner"

• Members

Suggestions?

I'd give it about a $600 value on the trade market.

I love the amp but it's just basically got one sound, and that's overdriven.

It's a 68 Bassmaster, and it's in great shape.

45w, so I think maybe also I'm looking for something with more clean headroom.

Would a Fender Bassman head offer me more cleans or, since they're similar circuits, will I get a similar sound with the Bassman?

I love 60s/70s amps so that's preferably what I'd like to trade it for if I can find the right thing.

Any other "clean" sounding heads I should be looking at?

• Members

There's the 6550 mod I could have done (or do myself) to the amp, but, that's just more of a time-consuming venture than I'd rather get into. But, that'd give it clean headroom for days.

Is there a key to getting better cleans from EL34 based amps? Or, perhaps a pair of tubes more geared torwards cleans? Perhaps even a preamp tube set-up that would allow this?

• Members

There's the 6550 mod I could have done (or do myself) to the amp, but, that's just more of a time-consuming venture than I'd rather get into. But, that'd give it clean headroom for days.

i don't know anything about it, but if it's reversible, i don't see any reason not to at least give it a shot

• Members

I really think somethings up with your amp because the minty stock YBA-1 that I have is insanely loud and clean, it doesn't break up at all unless I jumper the channels and crank it.

It's loud, it just breaks up around the 4-5 mark which from what I understand is common for these amps, and thats basically where the volume has to sit for me to be able to hear next to my drummer, who plays very loud.

Archived