Opinions: Native Instruments vs. IK Multimedia

Palaver

• Members

For those of you with extensive softsynth knowledge- which full blown suite would you choose, and why? I am seriously considering grabbing a Muse Receptor with either the Native Instruments complete setup, or the newly announced Total Workstation package thru IK Multimedia. I am always looking at things, and a receptor is certainly in the cards in the next year or two to come.

I would love to have excellent pianos, great strings, great synths... and all very easy to use & little time to navigate/figure out.

What are your opinions on both the Komplete 5 package which includes:

Kontakt 3

Guitar Rig 3 Software Edition

Massive

Reaktor 5

Absynth 4

Battery 3

Akoustik Piano

Elektrik Piano

B4 II

FM8

Pro-54

Versus the IK Multimedia Complete package:

SampleTank 2.5

Sonik Synth 2

Miroslav Philharmonik

SampleMoog

SampleTron

I notice that both companies have excellent reputations and excellent sounding demos, but those of you with personal experiences with either or both products, which do you find easier to use and more convienient? Which setup would you consider to be more versatile?

I really don't know where to look. I really dig the product demos by both companies, but for practicality, and ease of use, which company has the edge, and in what areas?

-Phil B

• Members

NI.. In every area as far as I'm concerned. All of those IK products are basically Sampletank with different libraries. NI gives you a dedicated sampler that comes with a large library, has good support in its own native format, and can import just about every other format that matters. Then it gives you an excellent FM synth (FM8), a decent enough VA (Pro 53) that's very CPU friendly. Massive and Absynth are also good quality synths on their own (personally I've never really got into Absynth, but some love it), then you've got a good B3 emulation, a decent enough large piano sample library, pretty good guitar amp modelling software, a drum sampler (personally I just use Kontakt for that though) and the cherry on the cake - Reaktor 5 with its massive user library, most of which is terrible, but some of which is very good, and it can be made to do all sorts of things.

I'm puzzled that you even think it's a close race - it isn't. The one thing you could begin to argue is that the pre-made Sampletank libraries give a bit more of a rompler-like experience compared to Kontakt, and maybe the Miroslav samples would appeal to some compared to the orchestral stuff included with Kontakt.

Apart from that, go for the NI bundle. I'd be amazed if anyone (other than an IK employee ;) ) told you otherwise.

• Members

I figured this would be an overwhelmingly large 'in-favour' response to NI simply because I've heard of them way more... I've heard of IK Multimedia before, but not to the extent of NI. I've almost pulled the trigger on the Massive/Absynth stuff on the demos alone...

Either way (after a lot more research), I will probably be replacing my ROMPLER with a Muse Receptor with the Komplete bundle inside... or the IK multimedia. Who knows? The complete workstation package is also 500 bucks cheeper... and I do plan on grabbing the new Spectrasonics synth due out in the fall... and that will be Receptor compatible at some point (which is when I plan on grabbing a receptor and dropping the rompler).

-Phil

• Members

I had Komplete 4 and upgraded to Komplete 5 when it came out. The bundle is definitely worth the money if you are into soft synths and samplers. There are quite a few sounds to be made in there. I am fond particularly of FM8; I am more of a soft-synth person than a sampler person.

• Members

Thanks for the input, guys! This is what I expected to hear. Have any of you demoed the receptor?

I really appreciate everything. So does anyone use IK?!? All I've heard about, or heard of being used by the pros are the Miroslav samples... I'm wondering if their emulations rival that of NI or Arturia...

-Phil

• Members

So does anyone use IK?!? All I've heard about, or heard of being used by the pros are the Miroslav samples... I'm wondering if their emulations rival that of NI or Arturia...

They are not emulations. They are sampled libraries. The only emulation IK do is the Amplitube amp stuff.

As for Miroslav Vitous, it was very popular back in the days when AKAI hardware samplers ruled the land. Partly it was because there were only a few orchestral libraries like that and the Peter Siedlaczek stuff around! Although many do like the quality of the samples too. But the "pros" tend to go more for the mega GB libraries now like VSL, EWQL, Kirk Hunter etc. The very top end (Hans Zimmer etc) pay to have their own custom libraries created for them.

• Members

i own sampletank, but i just picked up Komplete 5. Kontact 3 has some great orchestral samples and FM8 is the {censored}!

now... can somebody tell me how to get rid of this annoying latency between the controller and output? (i'm working on a mac.)

• Members

i own sampletank, but i just picked up Komplete 5. Kontact 3 has some great orchestral samples and FM8 is the {censored}!

now... can somebody tell me how to get rid of this annoying latency between the controller and output? (i'm working on a mac.)

Make sure you have a good sound card and a good ASIO driver.

In the ASIO control panel, reduce the latency until the SW starts to pop & click, & then back off a little.

Archived