I just want a soundfont player in a box with keys - anything like that?

Rellik2

• Members

I'm tired of carrying my laptop around - why can't I just whip up some sfz's, convert them to sf2's, put em on a 2gb USB thumb-drive, stick em in and play?

If I may be so bold as to inquire, what kinds of inexpensive keyboards (or potentially rack/portable non-keyboard instruments) would you recommend for this purpose? Obviously most newly-minted sampling-capable keyboards are pretty expensive - cheapest seems to be an Alesis Fusion 6HD off ebay for around $600-900 USD.

So anybody know of anything in a similar or lower price-range? Ancient, new, huge, light-weight, whatever, as long as it can sample in a readily-convertible format from some form of digital media.

• Members

Wow - an Asus EEE PC would work perfectly! If I could just strap it to a cheap 61-key controller it would be great - I could even use synths and effects and stuff like I normally do!

However, that is still less convenient/reliable than a dedicated solution - still needs to boot up, still needs an external audio interface or at the very least an adapter, etc. (even moreso if it's a PocketPC rather than an actual mobile PC). Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Members

Pair it with a Novation X-Station, since the audio interface is built in. You still have to power it, but you're getting a lot of bang for your buck with that combo. I've been considering this route, too, so I can dump my sampler and A-Station, and just take my Nord rack and two keyboards to gigs.

Archived