Kurzweil PC3X Vs. K2600xs

• Members

I'm stuck between these two boards. I realize the Pc3 is newer, but I do not know why I would buy the K2600 over a PC3.

I would really just like to know pros and cons of each, and which board you think would be the better buy.

(I will try both of these out eventually btw, I'm just trying to get some info first).

• Members

The only thing that the K2600 has going for it is that the K2600 has a sampler. If that doesn't matter to you, you probably want the PC3 - Kurzweil considers it an evolution of the work done on the K2600 anyway.

The poll will only get you responses according to the voters needs (whether they need a sampler or not), and therefore will not be a good indication of the quality of the actual sounds that come with the board. So I didn't even vote.

• Members

Not to be too obvious, but pull up these windows side by side to compare:

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?product=41

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?product=37

PC3 = 128 voices, VA1, Cascade mode, no sampling, software editor, no ribbon controller (but has an input for one), four 24 bit balanced outs & spdif,

midi over usb, xd card storage.

K2600 = 48 voices, no VA1, triple mode, sampling option allows for 'live mode'(external in processing) & vocoder, two ribbon controllers, eight 18 bit balanced outs. optional digital out, scsi storage.

Probably other differences as well, that a little digging will sort out.

There's been improvements, but you also give up a few things with the PC3.

If you absolutely need sampling and external input, you'll go with a 2600x with the sampling option. The ribbons are really nice on the 2600 as well. You can put one long ribbon on the PC3.

I haven't had a chance to try the VA1 on the PC3 yet, but am anxious to do so - it sounds like a real good addition.

SCSI storage is a bit of a hassle on the 2600, compared to the simplicity of an xd card, but scsi is still doable.

8 outputs on the 2600 is a plus if you're doingmultitimbral stuff, but then again 128 voices versus 48 is a big plus for the PC3.

The PC3 also has more effects available.

I have a K2600, and haven't even tried the PC3 yet, but I'm sure it's a great board.

You'll have to look at what's most important to you in the area of trade-offs.

• Members

To a certain degree, these two products are aimed at different target markets. The PC series are considered performance boards, whereas the the K-series is more at home in the studio.

Obviously you can gig or record with either one, but you might consider this as you approach them.

• Members

I am curious about this too, I have heard that the K2600 has really good preset editing, I presume that means envelopes, maybe filters?, effects.

I read that the PC2 has not much in the way of customizing or synth type settings. Where does the PC3 stand on that?

• Members

I am curious about this too, I have heard that the K2600 has really good preset editing, I presume that means envelopes, maybe filters?, effects.

I read that the PC2 has not much in the way of customizing or synth type settings. Where does the PC3 stand on that?

They both use VAST. A very powerful and flexible engine. VAST is a seiries of "building blocks" (Algorithims in Kurz talk) that allow you to choose the signal processing. Envelpoes, Filters, and other standard synth type stuff are included, sometimes to the Nth degree.

The PC3 also has the VA (Virtual Analog) Engine.

Anyway, I'd be happier than {censored} with either one. I don't use sampling as much as I thought I might, so for now I'd lean towards the pC3.

• Members

The PC3 has an upgraded version of the V.A.S.T. synth engine found in the K2xxx series.

VAST gives you so many different kinds of filters, special DSP-functions, LFO's, envelopes, digial OSC's etc. that it'll keep you busy the next ten years!

EDIT: Argh, Augerinn was faster...

• Members

Actually, PC3X editing with its cascade mode and dynamic VAST is closer to something like Reaktor or Nord Modular, e.g. you create a sound by interconnecting various blocks in different ways. There are, of course, many differences between PC3X and a true modular system, but the principle is pretty much the same.

Archived