NPD - oh my gawd I love this thing

liko

• Members

So in preparation for a concert involving some harder stuff than we've usually done, I needed a distortion pedal. Real distortion, not the fuzz from my Boss ODB-3 or the hard OD my Hardwire CM-2 maxes out at (no shame; it's a great OD). I like my Hardwire OD, and have heard great things from the Valve Distortion, so I picked one up. Out went the ODB-3 and LMB-3 from my board (whose first incarnation was for bass, hence those pedals). First thing I noticed was about 1.5x the volume with one less pedal overall and two buffered boxes replaced by a true bypass box.

Then, I hit the pedal and started tweaking. Little tube-like warmth and bassy chugga-chugga goodness with a slight bass boost and treble cut, Crunch voicing (Saturated's good too but I didn't want it quite that bright or sensitive for what I was doing), and gain to taste (think it ended up about 2:30). First power chord, boom, instant hard rock secks. This thing's great. I'll play around a little more, and a Reverb (either the Line 6 VerbZilla or the HardWire Reverb) is next on the list, but I think for now my pedal GAS is satisfied.

Archived