Odd True Bypass POP

p00n

• Members

Narrowed it down to one pedal that causes EVERYTHING in my true bypass looper to pop loudly.

I had to individually swap out pedals in the loop till I found that my Magicstomp is the source of the pop. When it's in the chain, it causes all the true bypass switches to pop. Those in the loop itself, and the rest of the loops on the looper too.

Any idea what's causing this? I heard DC leakage might be a problem, but the Magicstomp is 12V AC.

• Members

DC leaking at the input/output coupling capacitors probably is the culprit.

It may take AC in, but it will rectify and filter the AC into DC internally.

This goes back to the Edison/Tesla debate; my guess is if measured, you will see a little bit of DC leaking at the input and output of the pedal. This would not present a problem if the unit is in the chain at all times. The TB looper removes it from the chain allowing the symptom to manifest itself.

A pulldown resistor AT THE INPUT/OUTPUT COUPLING caps may offer a solution, verify the problem exists before wasting time, effort and parts.

Keep in mind, incorrectly placed pulldown resistors will not only NOT PULL DOWN, but will lower the resistance to ground of the path potentially reducing signal strength causing "tone suck."

• Members

DC leaking at the input/output coupling capacitors probably is the culprit.

It may take AC in, but it will rectify and filter the AC into DC internally.

This goes back to the Edison/Tesla debate; my guess is if measured, you will see a little bit of DC leaking at the input and output of the pedal. This would not present a problem if the unit is in the chain at all times. The TB looper removes it from the chain allowing the symptom to manifest itself.

A pulldown resistor AT THE INPUT/OUTPUT COUPLING caps may offer a solution, verify the problem exists before wasting time, effort and parts.

Keep in mind, in
correctly placed pulldown resistors
will not only NOT PULL DOWN, but will lower the resistance to ground of the path potentially reducing signal strength causing "tone suck."

you sound like an expert, I admit that I'm not, is my suggestion misleading or incorrect? I'm curious to know because my boxes have never popped and I've never noticed any tone suck.

• Members

you sound like an expert, I admit that I'm not, is my suggestion misleading or incorrect? I'm curious to know because my boxes have never popped and I've never noticed any tone suck.

If you mess with the input/output impedance too much, it will cause tonesuck via filtering off the high end.

• Members

UPDATE

The pop completely disappears with a simple Boss buffer after the Magicstomp! Is it a legit fix? I measured the DC leakage from the pedal output with a multimeter and it registers 10mA, so it's definitely the source.

Is there any possible bad side effects of installing a buffer in the true bypass looper's return? So far everything worked as it should with the Boss buffer in place.

• Members

Any buffers to recommend? I'd need a really high headroom one since my Magicstomp is in a feedback loop, so I'm thinking of putting the buffer in the return of the feedback loop. Gets really loud, so clipping wouldn't be nice.

The Barber B-Buff looks sweet, but DIY is always welcome.

Archived