OT gripe: Why do people have such poor pictures on eBay?

ripe

• Members

You have to learn with the master of Synthdom, the fearsome Don Solaris himself.

Create a demo of the synth you have, and give an honest review of its positive points (people can smell phony - it's much better to be honest about it and create genuine interest - and Don does a good job with that, too). Have that demo circulate here and VSE and wherever else you can. A month later, sell the aforementioned synth. Result: Profit!

• Members

I have to work at taking bad pictures for ebay.

I'm too used to taking them with extremely low depth of field in artistic lighting conditions with lasers and stuff :)

Strangely, I bought my lightbox thingy for artistic macro stuff and I think it is used mostly for ebaying music gear. All well :)

• Members

Well your question has pretty much been answered but I must add a certain demographic of people, the ones who can't afford high def cameras.

or the ones who "just bought a camera and realized I can't take photographs, and no interest to learn how" ;)

cheers

ripe

• Members

It's also down to angles and such. Again, Don has that covered when he takes his pics, a few others here do as well.

Exhibit A: This makes the A-90 look bad because of the color definition and the angle. It's a very true representation though, of what the board looks like. It isn't all that pretty.

roland14a90.l.jpg

Exhibit B: This is the same controller, but the angles are more flattering:

A90.jpeg

1575022_2_2007531_18_50_28.jpg

Which one would you buy? ;)

• Members

there is a positive to this gripe! the clueless stupidity that makes some people post crap "photos" in their auction also drives them to omit the brand/model or not bother to check the spelling of the brand/model. so people who use advanced search syntax can sometimes unearth treasures that get listed under the radar.

• Members

there is a positive to this gripe! the clueless stupidity that makes some people post crap "photos" in their auction also drives them to omit the brand/model or not bother to check the spelling of the brand/model. so people who use advanced search syntax can sometimes unearth treasures that get listed under the radar.

All hail dyslexic people....and those with terrible speeling ;)

• Members

or the ones who "just bought a camera and realized I can't take photographs, and no interest to learn how"
;)

In fairness to these people, I honestly think it's tough taking a *really good* close up pictures with a typical fixed-flash digital. You either need good light sources (most people don't have unless they drag their gear outdoors on a sunny day), flash techniques (bounce, flash diffuser, etc.) that are impossible on those fixed-flash type cameras, or other equipment like a lightbox.

If you *have* this sort of gear, no excuse for bad photos. :cop: But most people just have a little pocket camera. Of course, many digital cameras have a macro mode that does a reasonable job... :facepalm:

• Members

In fairness to these people, I honestly think it's tough taking a *really good* close up pictures with a typical fixed-flash digital. You either need good light sources (most people don't have unless they drag their gear outdoors on a sunny day), flash techniques (bounce, flash diffuser, etc.) that are impossible on those fixed-flash type cameras, or other equipment like a lightbox.

If you *have* this sort of gear, no excuse for bad photos.
:cop:
But most people just have a little pocket camera. Of course, many digital cameras have a macro mode that does a reasonable job...
:facepalm:

This.

I usually take about 1/2 dozen shots with flash, w/o flash, etc before I have a picture that I'm even partly satisfied with.

A really good camera, a tri pod, and a flash/diffuser is what is needed. None of which I have.

Sometimes the hardest pic is the backlight. If it's too bright, it overexposes and washes out the display. Also, a flash will often do great dis-service, and make the item look worse ! Every little fingerprint and piece of dust shows up.

Archived