Please post thoughts on my song>

• Members

UPDATED WITH NEW LINK>>

http://www.soundclick.com/bloodandthunderus

This isn't the style of music I usually do, but I wrote the song "Drown" for my girlfriend.

Keep in mind, I recorded this completely myself. The music is ALL coming from an EX-7. Even the drums were played in realtime on the EX-7. There is also a 79 Suitcase Rhodes playing chords in the background. I'd like to eventually re-record this with harmonies on the vocals and better production. I also want different sounding drums because I'm not soo keen on the real drum sound for this application.

I'm actually shocked it sounds as decent as it does quality wise because I only used a crappy Tascam digital 8 track! I mastered it in Cool Edit just to normalize the levels, compress it a little etc. My favorite part is the strings solo after the first chorus.

Other good ones are "Last Nights Dream" and "Ride the Beat". Both have some good EX-7 parts. Actually, check "All Night" out too. That one was played on the radio for a while in the DC/Baltimore area. Blood and Thunder is my solo project. Lachoza, my previous band, recorded all other songs but I wrote them all.

"Drown" Lyrics>

At the edge of the ocean

Glow of the moon

You and I all alone

Your hair like fire

Your eyes like stars

Shining bright in the night sky

With the angels above

We fall in backwards

You drown by my side

We slip into darkness

Drown by my side

In the arms of heaven

Through a ghost white veil

Your lips whisper, action

But don't say a word

Cuz words are impossible

Deeper we go

We lose sight of the places that we know

Down at the bottom

Girl we know we got em

Your eyes never close

Your eyes never close

Down by my side

We slip into darkness x3

(outro)

• Members

I really like your voice and the melody. The lyrics work for pop.

But the sound quality is not up to any reasonable standard... the noise itself is distracting and ever-present... you need to re-record this with some better equipment, and keep working on your mixing. Lots of creative potential for hit-making there :thu:

• Members

Thanks..

Yeah, that was more of a sketchpad version of the song. I am 100% going to re-record it at a real studio. Seriously, I recorded that on a complete P.O.S. 8 year old digital 8 track. I'm surprised it even turned out as decent as it did.

Here's another song of mine recorded at a REAL studio. It was tracked on $80k 2 inch Studer's, then mixed down and effected in a top of the line Pro Tools system and finally mastered on a $250k SSL plasma metered board.

I recorded this about 9 years ago so the lyrics are a bit immature, but I like the musical aspect. It's mostly me again, but with a friend of mine on drums. The main opening synth line to the song is my EX-7. That thing has some mean sounds!

"All Night"

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/66613/05%20-%20All%20Night.mp3

Lastly, this song is from the same album. My friend and collaborator is singing on this one as he wrote the lyrics. The EX-7's piano on this one sounds great IMO. The engineer really mixed it perfectly. Also, check out the EX's washing sound when the chorus kicks in.

"Rain"

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/66613/07%20-%20Rain.mp3

• Members

Here's one more from my studio album. It's got a pretty good Wurli solo. I also really like what the engineer did with the vocals on this one. I'm doing the harmonies and my friend is singing again. Listen to the basslines. ;) The bass and guitar are real. The singer is playing the guitar lines, I'm playing the bass. My favorite part is the way the vox sound at the end. Real spacious sounding. We got to use a $4,000 Lexicon reverb unit.

"Ride The Beat"

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/66613/02%20-%20Ride%20The%20Beat.mp3

• Members

She should buy you a studio [including a professional audio interface] for making this for her.

Beautiful song!

The pads/strings are excellent and the Rhodes-like arpegios added a LOT to the charm of the piece [romantic]. The ending is wonderful: those dreamy repetitive notes symbolize, perhaps, your never-ending love for her. Most songs end with some "expected" chord; yours didn't, and I find that very creative.

Audio quality: there is a significant background noise. It can be heard clearly during the 1 second of silence at the very beginning. I hope you have saved the song [as MIDI] to re-record it again when you have better equipment [i.e, when she buys you the pro audio interface you deserve].

I give you credit for playing the drums live, without any quantizing, etc.

Excellent idea on adding some vocal harmonies. That will embellish the song. But don't overdo it for 2 reasons:

1. Simplicity rocks,

2. You already have a great singing voice [those who harmonize their entire vocals mostly don't have a good voice: they "make it up" with heavy harmonies to impress their listener, pffff]

Note: at 03:32mn precisely, something didn't sound right. I think you hit a wrong note on that chord.

Congratulations. You're a talented composer & singer:thu:

• Members

Thanks very much! I appreciate all the feedback too. Yeah, I did hit a wrong note on the Rhodes at 3:32. :facepalm: I didn't really notice it until later so I didn't want to go back and re-do the whole part. Like I said, I only recorded that as a way to put it down. I've always had the intention of re-recording it on a good setup.

Thanks for listening guys! I'm glad I found a free MP3 hosting site so I can finally share some of my music with everyone here. I really like everything I've heard from others here too. This is a great community.

• Members

I just heard your stuff AW, and I must tell you that

YOU, have a very unique voice, your tonality, is very soothing.

I love the lyrics but there's just something missing when it comes to the notes you choose to sing. Don't take this bad...Most people would love to have your voice! Where's your location?

And what is an EX7? I want one now!

• Members

May i suggest that you get yourself a soundclick or myspace account (both have free options) This way you will also get better coverage find people to collaborate with etc. Click on my sig for link to soundclick or google.

I cannot wait to hear your songs after all the rave reviews here.

tris

• Members

Ah you beat me to the post :)

Very nice I really enjoyed listening to your songs. You have a good voice and ear for arranging and mixing your tracks.

I love the EP sound on Drown may I enquire as to what the base sample came from

tris

• Members

Thanks. The EP on drown is the real deal, not samples. A 79 Suitcase Rhodes with the tremelo speaker cabinet and all.

The EPs on all the other songs (which are older by about 6 years) are on my EX-7 except the solo on "Ride The Beat" is a real Wurlitzer.

Archived