Yamaha KX - good starter for softsynth newbie?

TowJam

• Members

Would the KX series be a good package for someone with zero softsynth experience but who wants to test the waters without dropping a lot of money? I know up front the keyboard itself is craptacular but I'm basically looking for something that will get me up to speed with the technology and give me the chance to test some of the high-end VSTs I've read so much about it. (I have a relatively powerful laptop and limited space. I don't have the space or $$$ to invest in multiple hard synths.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions - I just picked the KX series because I know what a POS most of the M-Audio controllers are.

• Members

KX is fine, except it does not have aftertouch. I somewhere read where they explained why they didn't include it. It wasn't a price decision, but they felt it wasn't a logical inclusion. I imagine quality wise, it's good bit better than m-audio. (I hate m-audio keys.) I would personally get a Remote SL 61, but I can understand if you don't want to spring $600 for your first controller.

-D

Archived