Hey gilwe, RE: your CP-60

• Members

I also own a CP60M which I bought a few years ago, but couldn't pass this one as the feel and playability is totally different (=awesome). I gave up a CP70 a few years back in favor of the CP60M, and have been looking for one to come by ever since.

I can't really see how you can get "screwed" with the most perfect electric piano ever made !
;)

I passed up a $400 CP-60M a few years ago and regretted it. Would you care to talk about the differences with the 70? Does the 60 still have that sound when unplugged?

• Members

Great to find more CP fans around ! :)

The CP pianos are ones of my most desirable instruments. I first came across a CP70, more than 10 years ago, which I passed. Then, about 4 years ago, I came across another CP70, but it was in a very bad condition. At the same time I found the CP60M, which I grabbed right away ! But still, I wanted to have a CP70 or CP80 (I'll explain later). A couple of weeks ago I found a CP80 in an excellent condition, and payed damn 3000$ for it (sold my Wurli for almost as much...) :eek: but now it is here. I just couldn't afford another 5-10 years wait for a grand CP anymore ;)

So, basically, the CP60M is an upright version of the CP70/80. Plugged in, you will get about the same sound of the two versions. The CP60M does sound a bit different, and I guess that this is the result of the more modern electronics (it has that 7 band EQ and, midi out, etc). Still it sounds just awesome ! The CP60M has the same feel and action as the other Yamaha uprights from that era, and the great privilege of being compact, and being able to fit into just about any studio, which is great (the CP80 is H-U-G-E, and I mean it !). So basically - expect the CP70/80 sound in an upright feel.

Now, the CP80 is a totally different story (as you know, owning a CP70 yourself...). The same "grand" feel and action nothing can replace... :rolleyes:. Big, heavy keys, high action, amazing playability. The ultimate rock piano ! For that reason I now have them two. The CP80 is just more inspiring, while the CP60M is a studio work horse. I had some great sessions just layering the CP60M with pads and strings from my MKS70 :thu: But after all, I don't think I'd pay much for a CP60M if I already had a CP70 or CP80 , or the space for them, after all, soundwise they're quite the same... Just like with the 70/80, you can still play the 60M unplugged.

CP80-3.jpg

DSCF0186.JPG

• Members

Interesting...I didn't know the 60 was a 76 key. In the mid 90's I had a Kawai 705M upright. It was cool, but the action basically sucked. I have never actually played the CP60, but I am very curious about it.

If you ever feel inclined to take a bunch of detailed pictures of it I would love to see them. Particularly how it looks inside, and how the sustain pedal linkage looks.

Thanks!

• Members

another CP70 fan here! I love my Cp70B dearly, partically because of the dreamy sound, with tremolo, or the rock-your-socks sound you get when you play through a tube amp(-simulator)...or just because it is so silent, I can play in the middle of the night without disturbing the neighbours. And it just looks stunning, inside and out, lovely engineering!

check the song "zero" on my website for loads of CP70 sounds

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/chromelegs/

and my review at www.bluesynths.com, which also includes a lot of pics of my piano

• Members

Interesting...I didn't know the 60 was a 76 key. In the mid 90's I had a Kawai 705M upright. It was cool, but the action basically sucked. I have never actually played the CP60, but I am very curious about it.

If you ever feel inclined to take a bunch of detailed pictures of it I would love to see them. Particularly how it looks inside, and how the sustain pedal linkage looks.

Thanks!

Sure ! :thu:

btw, a day before I found my CP60M, I actually tried a Kawai EP-608.

It is basically an upright electroacoustic, but as opposed to the CP's, which have two strings per note on the upper octaves, it's actually using a single string per note configuration, which results in an uneven balance across the keyboard. The sound is beautiful though. Not as "pianish" as the CP, sounds more like a cross between the CP and a Rhodes ;)

43453653-kawai-ep-608.jpg

• Members

check the song "zero" on my website for loads of CP70 sounds

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/chromelegs/

and my review at
www.bluesynths.com
, which also includes a lot of pics of my piano

At times your stuff sounds like the latter "UK" band with Jobson, Wetton and Bozzio... circa 1979-80... guess its the similar instruments you have with those guys... Eddie was a big CP guy...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I also bought CP-60M just for 1000 euros! And I already knew a guy who was ready to pay 2000 euros for it but I was quicker!!!

This is really the most compact acoustic piano ever! That was also the reason because grand models cannot fit into my own room.

Anyway, this piano was basically just laying in some dusty storage over the years and the family smoked inside! I heard it was brough from Spain to here Finland (I never couldn't imagine to be able to find real CP piano for sale in here Finland!). At first it was very messy and exciting to use it because I had to do many things for it and there was many thing not working. In fact I got it for only 900 euros just because the power source was missing! =D

when I got it, it was just smelling terrible smoke! But eventually I managed to remove all odors away and cleaned all things carefully.

The power source was missing... that damn rare 2 pin XLR connection... but I did use ordinary adapter and made the wires to be able to keep hold in 2 pins and so I can have power on now. eventually I managed to get 3 pin power source so I will replace it's 2 pin connetion to standard 3 pin XLR.

The differences between grand and upright (I was lucky to find cp-70b owner very near me):

in cp-60m the tremolo is not panning stereo ("ping pong" effect)!!!. Although there is indeed 2 channel output as in all CP pianos, the tremolo is not same as in grand models, only mono tremolo same with both channels (double mono?). What a disappointment... and I was so excited about that so great stereo tremolo I heard many times in many sound demos...

Also I read the topic about how grand model have bigger keys and bigger action... ummm... the difference is sooo minimalistic!!! I don't think it's even worth to mention about it! The keys are almost same and so is the action. After careful examine I noticed there was only difference both in key size and action, only a millimeter or two!!! I don't know if CP-70b is somehow different from cp-80 or later M models... but I really didn't find that big difference as I heard in many topics... in fact I like more the action of CP-60M! It's somehow more expressive than cp-70b and I don't know why...

Also I like to mention that CP-60M is very critical about how much you lift the keyboard, because if you don't adjust rods enough high, then there will be problems like I did have; the action is be indeed very low, some hammers are doing double trigger, some keys are not being sustained at all... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is why many CP-60M owners are saying about low and different action. At first I though these all problems which appeared were just ordinary mechanical problems... until I read the manual and adjusted the rods better!

Also there is very common pickup problem among the CP-60M pianos, meaning the silent pickups are having lower volume than others. In fact I think it's normal issue after 20 years... because the pickup is totally different from CP-70/80 models (I haven't yet seen M models to compare).

I think pickup may be same with all other M models because CP-70/70b/80 were made in 1976(?) and new M models were all made when midi arrived, in 84-86 and in then this upright was also made but of course they didn't sell good just because DX7 was already killing all markets and Yamaha himself was already making new digital pianos! In CP-70 the pickups are blocks having 1 per key, but in CP-60M pickups are like long tubes having them in long sections! I now managed to solve this darn problem and if you have this same pickup problem, just contact me!

• Members

In CP-70 the pickups are blocks having 1 per key, but in CP-60M pickups are like long tubes having them in long sections! I now managed to solve this darn problem and if you have this same pickup problem, just contact me!

I don't know what problem you are referring to, but why don't you just explain it here so we have the info for reference?

Thanks!

• Members

I don't know what problem you are referring to, but why don't you just explain it here so we have the info for reference?

Thanks!

Well, I told it already in some other cp topic. The common problem I mean is that some sections of pickups are not working properly and that means some keys are either totally dead silent or just half from normal volume from all other working keys. And in CP-60M the pairs of pickup tubes are not soldered but pressed connection and so after 20 years this pressed connection will get loose and then it makes this problem appear. Inside the pickups there is two very tiny metallic wires and if only one wire is loose, then the volume is half from normal and if both are loose, then pickup is totally silent.

• Members

Hi AnalogGuy,

No sure about the key sizes, will have to compare side by side once I have mine regulated, but as I told on another thread, the action can be adjusted by a simple regulation
:thu:

That's nice... I just cannot afford for real technician for regulating my cp piano. Anyway I got better action in a more simple way; I just ran through my keyboard! Meaning I pressed hard all keys from high to low. Now it seems much better. I think it's about the springs...

Do you know how to regulate keyboard action in DIY style???

Anyway, I'm going to study into professional piano technician/tuner (3 years examine!). So far I can tune this piano by myself using only JD-800's piano sample and keep it endless sustain so I can tune easily by ear.

• Members

The action can be adjusted by lowering the height of the cardboard spacers which are placed under each key. You should remove to the point where the depth is about 9mm and all keys are even. Of course do that only once you determine the "correct" keyboard rods height. Anyway, I'd get a tech to do the job.

• Members

The action can be adjusted by lowering the height of the cardboard spacers which are placed under each key. You should remove to the point where the depth is about 9mm and all keys are even. Of course do that only once you determine the "correct" keyboard rods height. Anyway, I'd get a tech to do the job.

Thanks, how much there were those cardboard layers in your cp-60m? Mine only had 2-4 per key. Thank you very much, now I solved the problem where some of the upper keys were doing slight double hit and annoyed me a bit. After I removed the 2 cardboard layers then it was not doing double trigger anymore... so for the balance, I removed all cardboards from Green softeners of each key. Is that something I shouldn't have done?

I opened every key out and cleaned all carefully thru and vacuumed all dust away. It's amazing what 20 years can done if no-one cleans. :lol:

• Members

I think the cardboard spacers are only there for the key action adjustment
:confused:
But I'll have to double check.

BTW, do you as well get loud hiss noise while engaging an effect unit in each of the loops available ?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/13/285304/CP60M%20sound%20problems.mp3

I'm trying to figure out what causes this
:rolleyes:

I can have hiss only when effect is on and that is caused by noisy effect pedal, but otherwise no. You mean when effects are connected and put on or not? It seem that when you press effect on then the volume gets higher and it is the fact that the higher volume the higher noise. And putting 2 noisy effects at the same time makes this even worse.

Archived