Gear insurance.

SailorJerry

• Members

Just getting all mine sorted out now and was wondering what your experiences have been with insurance companies. Not sure how different it is between the UK and other countries but I'm interested to know how they dealt with the smaller items.

For example. You have your normal gigging rig in the back of a van, lets say, 1 head, 1 cab, 1 electric, 1 acoustic and a pedalboard + cables.

The van suddenly caught fire and everything was lost.

Are insurance companies usually willing to replace {censored} like guitar cases and cables and pedalboards? I'd assume that most of you would have a list of the 'main' items, your guitars and amps probably with serial numbers, and a list of your pedals etc. but how extensive is instrument cover in general?

Really just looking for any pointers (previously I had everything covered on an extended contents insurance, but it's time to separate them)

Also anyone willing to post how much they're paying for their insurance would be appreciated, as well as who with.

• Members

Not sure how it differs from UK to US, but my gear is more or less covered by my renter's insurance policy...at least when it's either at my apartment or in my vehicle. I don't leave gear anywhere else if I can help it. Hell, I don't even leave it in my car anymore, damn drug addict thieves. :cop:

• Members

Mine is through musicins.com and if my gear were in the back of a van and it burned, it would ALL be replaced. it's replacement insurance. there is a limit on cases/cables, but I don't have enough to be over the limit. There's a $250 deductible, but if all my equipment were lost 250 wouldn't be that big of a deal as I have a couple pieces of gear that are just for fun that I wouldn't miss too much if they were gone. You could probably get insurance through them, as their coverage is worldwide, but doesn't cover gear in trailers. I'm pretty sure it's written as an inland marine policy, but it's a bit more flexible. It's written for musicians and they understand that we trade around gear all the time, so anytime I buy/sell/trade, I let them know and they update my list of gear. Anything up to around 25K in coverage is $250/year, so if you're under that amount you might as well insure it all :) Hope this is helpful.

Archived