Stand alone midi rack unit for soft synths?

pjmuck

• Members

Hello, everyone. I'm a guitarist and relative newbie to synths/midi. I'm currently using my Godin LGXSA 13 pin guitar with a Roland GR-33 guitar synth, and while some of the sounds on the GR-33 are okay, I much prefer the soft synths in Reason, which I am able to slave via midi out on the GR-33. However, I really don't want to drag my laptop/midi interface, etc. to every gig on top of all the other equipment I'm hauling.

Does anyone make a reasonably priced rackmount module with midi that I can simply load my Reason sounds into (or any other soft synths for that matter) that I can assign to patches to call up live? If not, then how are you guys using Reason live to call up your patches? I use a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro mid foot controller as well to control my present setup.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Does anyone make a reasonably priced rackmount module with midi

Modules are made, but they're not "reasonably priced" - they'll cost at least as much as the computer itself, plus a multiplier for being a niche product that requires certain hardware and software. It's called the MUSE Receptor.

If not, then how are you guys using Reason live to call up your patches?

The rest of the mortals simply use a laptop ;). Alternatively, a smaller PC (Shuttle XPC or Mac Mini, both require an audio interface) might be more portable for what you want to do. Rack-mount cases are a good option too if you have some room left in your case.

• Members

I recently built a very capable softsynth PC in a 2U rackcase.

The total cost with Case, 450watt Power Supply, Intel MicroATX Motherboard, 1gb RAM, Dual Core 3ghz CPU, DVD-RW drive, 160gb Serial ATA Hard Drive and decent audio card (Audiophile2496) was $480.

• Members

The only issue with that is probably loading Windows :p

Muse Research did this quite nicely, and made Receptor load only the kernel parts Receptor needs to output audio and control VSTs, and got a very reasonable power-on time, which is measured in seconds. I still hate waiting 45-50 seconds until my PC powers up.

BUT. This will be sped up in years to come. Solid state disks will become cheaper and more effective, and they are VASTLY faster than todays magneto-optical HDDs. Also, new types of RAM memory are being researched (succesfully) - most prominent type being memory which is not reset when powering off the computer - meaning, OS kernel can always be loaded in that RAM, and will always be there. Which will effectively cut powering computer up and down to mere second or two!

• Members

However, I really don't want to drag my laptop/midi interface, etc. to every gig on top of all the other equipment I'm hauling.

Anything else than laptop (like a rackmount PC) will be even bigger and heavier and generally more unconvenient due to lack of display, etc. So you don't have much choice.

• Members

Thanks everyone for your input. Those Receptor units look nice, but at $1999 - Ouch! I have to believe that someone will put out a competitive unit soon (though you have to wonder it's taken this long), though I'm guessing it will be years before pricing comes down to reasonable. I'm a Mac guy, so the mini-Mac suggestion sounds curious. But without some visual aid for the patches (i.e. adding a monitor or having an on board display like the Receptor) we're back to square one and I might as well use my laptop (Mac Powerbook).

Thanks

Archived