OT: Camera recommendations

frankiej

• Members

My mother is currently looking for a new camera. I'm going to get her one for Christmas. I know you guys are all fancy with cameras and have a lot more experience then I do with them.

So anyhow, I'd like a camera that can take quality pictures (doesn't have to be super good, at least 10 megapixel though), around $100-150, relatively easy to use, and pretty rugged.

Any input is appreciated.

• Members

"at least x megapixels" is a common consumer trap. I've seen/had 6-8 megapixel point-n-shoots that delivered nicer definition than 10+. for sensors that small, things get a bit noisy when you break the 10-12 megapix barrier.

are manual controls important? at that price range doubt you'll get anything with manual unless you go used.

• Members

"at least x megapixels" is a common consumer trap. I've seen/had 6-8 megapixel point-n-shoots that delivered nicer definition than 10+. for sensors that small, things get a bit noisy when you break the 10-12 megapix barrier.

are manual controls important? at that price range doubt you'll get anything with manual unless you go used.

Have not a clue what manual controls are. Basically, a nice point-n-shoot will do.

Archived