Using a speaker sim for running to the PA

dunnoaname

• Members

I'm not talking 'bout a modeler here.

I was thinking, maybe running a H&K redbox speaker sim in the loop of an amp would eliminate the need for using a microphone.

Anybody do this?

In the loop?

Be aware that most tube amps will cook if run without a speaker load (or something to simulate it) connected.

• Members

I'm not talking 'bout a modeler here.

I was thinking, maybe running a H&K redbox speaker sim in the loop of an amp would eliminate the need for using a microphone.

Anybody do this?

What kind of amp are you using?

I've not used a Redbox, but I've done similar things with a Palmer PDI-09...

Running preamps directly to it and through a PA

And I have a little Roland Cube (80s, pre-COSM) which sounds great through the PDI-09 - using the Cube's headphone/line output.

You'll have to remember though, that running the send from an effects loop through a speaker simulator will mean you're missing out on the power amp stage of your amp, so it may sound a little different to how you expect.

• Members

Yeah, you can do the redbox thing, but DON'T put it in your loop. Connect it between your amp head and cabinet, running the balanced XLR out into the PA.

It's a combo amp.

I may have not been clear. I till want to hear the sound coming from the amp, but I also want to take a line out to the PA. Putting it in the loop wouldn't blow up the amp, would it?

In this band I'm playing only clean, so the power amp breakup isn't needed.

Maybe I should just permanently mount a mic to the amp.

Archived