Help choosing a sampler/s

shadowshocker

• Members

I am looking next at getting a new sampler. I just bought an Akai S1000 and I just received it after figuring out a new approach to how I'm going to record things, so I need to rethink my choice. Here's what I need the sampler for:

-Time stretch function

-Pitch change

-Time change

I really have little use for the sampler. I know I can do everything with the Akai S1000 I have now, but I'd like to possibly get something with a different layout, and less features that I don't need. Not that I can't use the sampler now, but I'd like to get something that is more practical for what I need, and has less that I don't need so it'd be easier to use.

I'm also thinking of getting two samplers with an effects chain between the two, for easy sampling back and forth through the effects. All I'm really gonna be using the sampler for is sampling little melodies and drum beats from recordings of mine, changing the time/pitch with the sampler, than running through the effects multiple times to get the right sound. I really have no other use for the sample, than to change the time/pitch and then making it easier to playback each time through the effects (rather than using a multitrack tape recorder and rewinding each time...it gets tedious).

So besides that, I'd like something with some more sample time if possible, than the S1000. My first sampler was the Electribe ES-1 which I liked because of it's simple use, but of course that's built more on sequencing and drum machine approach (which I may be interested in later) but for right now, all I need is a sampler. I then got the Akai MPC 2000xl, but again a lot of stuff I don't need, and it was focused too much around the drum pads, which is a waste for me (and not to mention a lot more expensive). Now I have the S1000 which is good use wise, but I'd like to possibly see other options. Also I don't need midi at all.

So any suggestions? Or are there any sites with a list of samplers (old and new) that I can weed through and find what suits me? I really appreciate it (sorry for the long post). Thanks!

• Members

-Time stretch function

This is poor on pretty much every hardware sampler because it takes processing time. If you're willing to do this offline, not a problem - just expect to wait half a minute for "processing".

-Pitch change

-Time change

These are obviously related - higher pitch means shorter time :D.

I think a Yamaha SU700 might be something - it's a phrase sampler, has realtime control and effects, should be simple to operate (I've seen it in several live setups).

and less features that I don't need.

In its most basic shape, a sampler plays back what you've recorded at your desired pitch and that's it. The MPC you had is one of the most basic, stripped down samplers you're going to find.

but I'd like to get something that is more practical for what I need

My definition of practical is:

- big screen

- can handle wave files

- has modern storage (Flash-based or IDE harddisk)

What's your definition?

and has less that I don't need so it'd be easier to use.

Hardware rack samplers don't get easier. At a certain moment, the bottom simply disappeared out of the market - an A4000 which could do everything costed the same as an ESI-4000 which was the lower/mid-class sampler. Since you're already paying for the case and firmware, it made no sense to build something that did less.

I really have no other use for the sample, than to change the time/pitch and then making it easier to playback each time through the effects (rather than using a multitrack tape recorder and rewinding each time...it gets tedious).

So basically you want a digital notepad. Isn't it a better idea to buy a pocket-sized Flash-based recorder then - it's basically a 2 or 4-track "harddisk"-recorder?

So any suggestions? Or are there any sites with a list of samplers (old and new) that I can weed through and find what suits me? I really appreciate it (sorry for the long post). Thanks!

The list of different samplers isn't really that big, actually - especially if you weed out stuff that's just more and bigger of the previous.

The Vintagesynth frontpage (and I saw you made a post there, too) has a list of samplers (however, not complete - it's also missing the samplers in modern workstations).

• Members

This is poor on pretty much every hardware sampler because it takes processing time. If you're willing to do this offline, not a problem - just expect to wait half a minute for "processing".

I don't mind it taking time, I know the old samplers weren't exactly quick when doing this kind of stuff. The thing I don't want to do, is have to use computers for it (as in an actual computer, not a sampler which essentially is a computer).

These are obviously related - higher pitch means shorter time
:D

I think a Yamaha SU700 might be something - it's a phrase sampler, has realtime control and effects, should be simple to operate (I've seen it in several live setups).

I guess I need something that separates the two. I guess that'd be considered the time/stretch function, but also a pitchshifter would be the pitch separated. So I'm also looking for that in it as well.

In its most basic shape, a sampler plays back what you've recorded at your desired pitch and that's it.
The MPC you had is one of the most basic, stripped down samplers you're going to find.

Well I guess what I meant by simple, and I'm not sure if they make samplers just this, but I don't need all the programs and banks, and such. That stuff is what really gets in the way with what I've used so far. I have no interest in sequencing or putting together songs, or programs (whatever they're called). Basically I just need to record in, and play it out with a change in pitch/time, or sample back in forth between two to add effects. I don't need to arrange them for midi either. A way of saving them to a disk or hard drive would be nice, so I could have a library of all my sounds, but I don't want to save anything else, like sequences or midi information.

My definition of practical is:

- big screen

- can handle wave files

- has modern storage (Flash-based or IDE harddisk)

What's your definition?

I really don't NEED too much. I guess I forgot, I may cut up some of the samples so in that sense, a screen is a must (using the electribe was really tedious trying to cut up samples without a screen). Storage, as long as there's a lot of it (which usually means modern like you said. I don't know about wave files, but I have no intention on using any samples but my own, and I have no intention on transferring to a computer either.

Hardware rack samplers don't get easier. At a certain moment, the bottom simply disappeared out of the market - an A4000 which could do everything costed the same as an ESI-4000 which was the lower/mid-class sampler. Since you're already paying for the case and firmware, it made no sense to build something that did less.

I guess so, but in a way having stuff that I'm never gonna use for the same price, just makes more stuff to weed through to figure out the stuff that I do need.

So basically you want a digital notepad. Isn't it a better idea to buy a pocket-sized Flash-based recorder then - it's basically a 2 or 4-track "harddisk"-recorder?

Yes, exactly! A digital notepad, with pitch and time changes. I could, but I'd rather not have something that small. I'll look into it, but if they made the same thing into a small rack, It'd be perfect. But also those small flash recorders don't usually have screens that show the sample, for cutting it up. At least not that I remember of, but I've never actually looked around at them.

The list of different samplers isn't really that big, actually - especially if you weed out stuff that's just more and bigger of the previous.

The Vintagesynth frontpage (and I saw you made a post there, too) has a list of samplers (however, not complete - it's also missing the samplers in modern workstations).

I'll check out that list, I thought they were all mixed in with the synths and keyboards, and they didn't have too many, but I guess there's another list. I'll take a look.

• Members

I think you'll have a hard time finding something that's simple and also time stretches. I think your Akai does time stretching, if I'm remembering right. But it sounds like you really need to look at multiple options to get what you want without using a computer.

The Roland SP-404 is the most dead simple sampling box out there for phrases and hits. The onboard effects include some of what you're after, but you won't be able to timestretch on it, and editing samples on it is a chore. As a performance device, however, it's very straightforward.

Personally, I think computer editing of samples offers so much power and UI benefit that I can't imagine not going that route, even if loading the results into an outboard sampler remains your preference.

• Members

I think you'll have a hard time finding something that's simple and also time stretches. I think your Akai does time stretching, if I'm remembering right. But it sounds like you really need to look at multiple options to get what you want without using a computer.

The Roland SP-404 is the most dead simple sampling box out there for phrases and hits. The onboard effects include some of what you're after, but you won't be able to timestretch on it, and editing samples on it is a chore. As a performance device, however, it's very straightforward.

Personally, I think computer editing of samples offers so much power and UI benefit that I can't imagine not going that route, even if loading the results into an outboard sampler remains your preference.

Yes the Akai that I have now, time stretches. But really as long as it has time change and a pitch shifter, any sampler shouldn't be too big of a task, it's just gonna be two processes; slow it down, and then raise the pitch. I guess that'd have a lot of artifacts in it, but with the amount of effects I'd be putting on it, that's really not big of a problem.

I'm not real crazy about the SP-404. A lot of equipment where they cram a lot of features in (effects for example, which it has tons of), end up crap in the end. Especially when they're that cheap. Not to say it couldn't do what I want with it, but from experience, my first guess is I would end up wanting something different. And besides pitch and time I have absolutely no interest in any onboard effects.

I'm really not considering computer as an option, sorry. I've been slowly moving everything off of computers (effects, recording, etc.) and now I'm finally off of computers, and it has been so much better, personally. And although it'd be easier to just use the computer, it'd make it more of a hassle to keep a computer in the setup just for this one thing. Like I said though, I don't mind multiple pieces of equipment to get what I need.

• Members

As far as stand-alones go, you should look into the Roland Vari-phrase sampler. Its doesn't have the fidelity of say a S770, but if these functions are important to you, you might wanna' start there. Otherwise those functions are addressed VERY well in Motu DP.

I just looked at this one too real quick. I'm definitely going to research it more, it seems like it'd be great. Do you have any experience with it? And like I said, no computers, so Motu DP is out of the question.

• Members

Nevermind, I think I'm going to go with the VP-9000 if I can get one for cheap. Just found some samples showing off the ease of slowing things down and such. Hopefully it turns out well. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them, or any experience with the VP-9000. If not thanks for all the help guys.

• Members

@augerinn: sorry i re-edited my message (but with delete) so now it's below your reply.

I'm going to record things, so I need to rethink my choice. Here's what I need the sampler for:

-Time stretch function

-Pitch change

-Time change

Sounds like you want a Roland VariOS or VariPhrase VP-9000. Both are cheap now.

You can expect to give $200 for VP-9000 and $350 for VariOS. VariOS comes with really cool graphical sequencer for PC that will let you pull out max out of timestreching, pitch shifting.

See VarioOS in action:

http://media.roland.com/en/IT/VariOS_IT/index.html (check the Phrase Scope section!)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fvxNdhZXpI4

Archived