How can I acheive good pad sounds?

electrik force

• Members

Anyway, you get a {censored}load of low-end, any noise in the original loses its sparkle, classical music's not getting better with it and the result's pretty

Did you compared that against real tape machine? Because in such case we must take into account the fact tape itself has its own signature, dynamics compression, etc. Then there are tape machine's preamps, etc.

Basically what is happening in the PC is that you aren't resampling anything. You are just playing something at 8kHz, that you sampled at 96kHz or 192kHz, etc. I think it is up to player and aliasing algorithm how the output will sound. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the output should be "ideal", without any artifacts.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the output should be "ideal", without any artifacts.

Right, my guess is the entire spectrum from ~0-96kHz will get scaled into ~0-8kHz. If the 96kHz signal was band limited to 20kHz you'd have spectrum from ~0-1.6kHz. If the original signal only had significant content up to 5kHz the spectrum would be from ~0-416Hz.

Maybe I will make some pictures. :thu:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The pad thread returns from the dead..... boogyboogy. But seriously this is a great topic, not necessarily a great OP, but great topic. I've been really interested in programming a large bank of pads on my virus, and some of the advice here is great. Keep it coming!

Archived