Anyone have experience w/ MOTU 828mk3 as a standalone mixer??? FS - LM-3204

Pilotwings

• Members

I've just started playing out live again after taking several years off enjoying Fri. & Sat. nights at home with the family. (why??? I don't know - wife thinks I'm going through a mid-life thing but I like playing out... just not moving my equipment all the time) which brings me to this topic.

I am using a Mackie LM-3204 rackmout mixer & would like to downsize my setup and am considering selling the 3204 (which works great) for the MOTU 828mk3.

My three reasons are size, weight, & could also use the 828 for recording.

Does anyone here use the MOTU 828mk3 as a stand alone mixer? Is it easy to use/change settings? And is it stable/roadworthy for live use? After all, the Mackie is built like a tank. Any info would be appreciated.

• Members

I use the MOTU Ultralite as a stand alone submixer when not being used as the firewire interface with my Mac. Works great and very easy to plug and play. I'd think the MOTU you mentioned would work too, but why not get the Ultralite, which has a smaller footprint?

• Members

yes, it's awesome. CueMix FX is really easy to use, too. haven't figured out how to make it save setups on power down, though, that should be pretty easy. i used to use a mk2 and still use the 896. i plan to buy a second when i put in my patchbay and phase out my analog mixer.

did i mention it's awesome? because it really is.

my precious:

828.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the reply Eric. With all my gear the 828mk3 would fit my needs more with the ADAT I/O's etc. Plus I really want to keep everything rackmounted. It's good to here that it should work fine. It will be a big change though not having independent sliders & knobs for each channel.

• Members

...nice-looking rack, Xpander.

:thu:

thanks! i'm actually going to double my rack space with another 16Us right next to it to accommodate a patch bay, another 828 and another MTP AV... plus stuff i already have but haven't had space for. i decided i don't want to setup more than 6 keyboards, i'd rather gain power with a comprehensive patchbay and really taking advantage of the massive studio as it is. i really love the way my studio is now, it's fun to be in there & compose. :love:

space1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello,

I just got this card, instead of TC Konnet Live (where drivers were really bad). Great card I have to say but I have 2 problems (possibly just because I'm bit stupid):

1. How to send audio to phones only with mute the output to monitors? I need to play via phones only sometime in night as my wife doesn't want to hear my playing with synths :) I guess this is a setting with CueMX but where?

2. SPDIF - I have Kurzweil PC3x and ultralite mk3, connected but no digital sound. Is there any trick with settings?

Thanks for helping me to sort out these topics.

Petr

• Members

thanks! i'm actually going to double my rack space with another 16Us right next to it to accommodate a patch bay, another 828 and another MTP AV... plus stuff i already have but haven't had space for. i decided i don't want to setup more than 6 keyboards, i'd rather gain power with a comprehensive patchbay and really taking advantage of the massive studio as it is. i really love the way my studio is now, it's fun to be in there & compose.
:love:

space1.jpg

If that's a Mac I see off to the left, I'd highly recommend the Apogee Ensemble. It really is a big step up from the MOTU 828 series (I used to have MKII version of the 828). I loved my old MOTU... but the Apogee completely destroys it in terms of build-quality, and ease-of-use.

I'm not sure how many synths you own, but you can pile in a bunch into the Ensemble... and judging by the gear you got, you can probably dish out the extra grand for it.... and it's money well spent.

Check it out. Plus, the Apogee's pres aren't coloured (neither are MOTU's)... so your synths sound like... well, the way they should (and not warmed up, unless you want to buy some coloured pres).

Archived