DSI & Moog Analog Character

Palaver

• Members

IMO, there is a much bigger difference between old and new, rather than between manufacturers.

old moogs, to my ears, sound much different to new moogs. i dont have any new moogs, so this may be due to my lack of experience programming them. but every time i've played a voyager/LP, they sound closer to a VA than to an old moog.

• Members

Between DSI and Moog, the Moogs have more control voltage connectivity. The LP has 2 CV ins that have hardwired destinations. The Mopho has no CV jacks. The P08 has one CV in.

Most of the fun of analog synths comes from control voltage patching. Control voltage interaction is what takes analog synthesis beyond mere single-note shredding (which is what Rudess, Emerson, etc. are known for). If you want to eventually build a modular system, the Voyagers have a lot more CV connectivity.

Just something else to consider.

my TE LP has 4 CV ins: gate, filter freq, vol(VCA) & osc pitch. Is the Stage different in this dept? That would kind of blow.

Anyhow - totally agree about CV's appeal. There's a lot of people under the impression that it's 'limiting', or that doing the same thing w/ MIDI is possible. They haven't used CV much, obviously.

• Members

My Voyager is currently massive overkill for my application, incidentally. It provides perfect bass, but that's all I'm currently using it for. Shoulda put the cash aside for the next piece of Elektron kit to be released.

I often wonder whether I should keep my Voyager. I will because there is no need to sell it at the moment. I agree it does perfect bass.

Mmmm, next Elektron piece, droooool (even though I don't know what it is_

• Members

my TE LP has 4 CV ins: gate, filter freq, vol(VCA) & osc pitch. Is the Stage different in this dept?

My bad. All the LPs have 4 CV ins.

I'm definitely keeping my Voyager, although for me it's more of a recording, rather than gigging, instrument. I still intend to work my way through Moog's instructional DVD for Voyagers.

• Members

DSI def has an edgier sound than the Moog stuff. Especially when you get into the modulation options. My friend has the Voyager, and i could get some pretty aggressive sounds from it. But my Evolver kills it in the angry sounds dept.

As far the Mopho/Evo thing goes, my Mopho will be here on Wed of next week. One of the first things i'm gonna do is set up identical patches on both the Mopho and the Devo. Except i'll have to substitute the Devo's digital Osc for the Sub Osc. We'll see how similar, or dissimilar they are.

• Members

DSI def has an edgier sound than the Moog stuff. Especially when you get into the modulation options. My friend has the Voyager, and i could get some pretty aggressive sounds from it. But my Evolver kills it in the angry sounds dept.

As far the Mopho/Evo thing goes, my Mopho will be here on Wed of next week. One of the first things i'm gonna do is set up identical patches on both the Mopho and the Devo. Except i'll have to substitute the Devo's digital Osc for the Sub Osc. We'll see how similar, or dissimilar they are.

That'll definitely be interesting.

Filters wide open on both, since the filters are supposedly different?

• Members

I have some MoPho loops left from betatesting:

http://www.trippler.net/files/p1/loops/

Not quite representative for the unit because nearly all patches have some kind of Filter-FM, Feedback or audio rate modulations, but maybe someone is interested to listen to them.

They're from a beta stage where the sync with external midi clock didn't always work quite right, occasional timing glitches won't happen anymore with the serial models.

• Members

As an Evolver owner, I would love to hear your demo's, please post :thu:

Archived