Best foot controlled vocal processor?

beerguy156

• Members

We are in a five pice rock cover band. Our singer owns two vocal processors and we are not really happy with either one. The first is a TC helicon VoiceLive 1. It can sound great, but is a nightmare to program/control. We purchased a Digitech vocalist live 4, and are not very happy with the effects, however, it is very easy to control. A harmony function is not required, but our singer loves the "thickening" effect. I see TC Helicon has some smaller foot controlled boxes such as the Voicetone Create XT. I also see Boss has a unit. Thoughts?

• Members

I had a tc helicon create xt... it's ok... but in all honesty it's too much mucking about, especially when you have a barrage of guitar pedals to worry about.

I soon got rid of it. I only really used it for reverby parts, but it was too complex for what I wanted it for. I would step on it wrong and it would change patches on me to crap I wanted no part of. Maybe you want something complex? you can store patches on it, but I didn't like it.

Best thing you can do is get a soundman who knows your songs and uses outboard gear to mix in effects here and there.

I wouldn't mind JUST a vocal reverb pedal for subtle reverb now and then, but in my opinion the cleaner you keep the vocal live the better, concentrate on not having to rely on effects to make your voice sound good, and honestly if you have a barrage of effects to tap dance your voice with, there's a good chance you won't be able to sing as well than if you weren't playing with the pedals.

Archived