OT: Which DSLR for under 1k usd?

Carlos&Cambria

• Members

Hey, I would like to own my first DSLR Camera but I don't really know which one to get?

I would like to spend no more than 1000 (maybe 1200 would be doable if it's really worth it) my main problem is that maybe I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff out of it and cover a lot of ground; in order of importance to me I'd like to be able to:

- take macro shots

- telephoto

- low light shots

- general use

After some research this seems this like a good plan:

Nikon D3100 (with the 18-55 kit lenses, would this be a good for general use?)

Sigma 70-300 Macro (it's big brother is like 400 bucks though...)

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G (for Low light shots?)

Using Amazon this would come at about $960, does this sound like the best I can get for under 1k?

Would the Canon Rebel T2i (550D) be a better option?

Should I consider other lenses?

Should I just man up and get the Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lenses and save for later? or would I be overwhelmed?

I don't want to outgrow the camera too soon either...

This is going to be my first DSLR so any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks in advance

• Members

Are you thinking $1k all in with lenses and everything? because if not I'd say get a used 5D mk.I body for ~900... nothing beats full frame imo

Yes, my buget would be including the lenses.

I don't want to spend much more since this will be my first DSLR and I don't want to spend a lot and then realize a point&shoot would have been better (I doubt it ha, I'd like to step up! :D)

• Members

tl;dr.

Canon t2i.

tl;dr: I'd like a DSLR camera under 1k (could go for 1200) with some lenses, I'd like to be able to take macro shots, low light and telephoto shots (lenses recommendations?

Canon T2i or Nikon D3100.

Any reason why the Canon and not a Nikon? I've read the only real benefit from the Canon is the superior video recording but I'm not really interested in that it's a "good to have" feature but not something that would make me get one over the other.

thanks though

• Members

Can't go wrong with a t2i. I've loved everything everyones ever posted that was shot with that camera + stock lenses.

On the other hand, I really liked what Beck was doing before with his Nikon D90. Even the HD video on it blew me away. A used D90 and a Sigma lens/flash, and you'd be in business.

• Members

I'm mainly using a Canon 5DII and a Olympus EP-1.

I would seriously recommend you looking at the Olympus micro 4/3 series. At your price point, you could have an EP-1 or an EPL-1, with lenses. I really like my EP-1, to me it's a lot more fun to use than the 5DII, and of course a lot more comfortable to carry around. Main drawback for your uses, is that the micro 4/3 cameras do not have as good low light performance as some larger DSLRs.

If do you decide to go with a larger DSLR, I think that D3100 would be a good choice. I wouldn't worry about outgrowing it, even the cheaper DSLRs these days have ridiculously good sensors, you'll be looking to upgrade your lenses way before your camera.

I can however not recommend the Sigma 70-300. First, it's just a pretty crappy lens all around IMO. Second, it's not really a macro lens, it just focuses sort of close. Why Sigma chooses to call it macro, I don't know. If you want macro, you should go for one of the macro prime lenses, such as the Nikon 85mm macro. Yes, I know that these are significantly more expensive, but it is what it is...

I'd recommend you try to pick up one used, does not necessarily have to be the Nikon, most macro primes by Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina (or Canon if you choose to go that route) are really good.

Note that the D3100 will not have autofocus with the older screw-focus lenses. Apart from autofocus, lenses are a little like guitars, not much has changed over the last half century or so. With my 5DII, some of the lenses I use are from the 60's but still optically as good as the best lenses made today.

Eventually you'll also want to pick up a macro flash.

• Members

Depending on how much you ACTUALLY plan on shooting, i'd even recommend just using the 1k to buy all lens and then rent the camera body when you need it. I wish i had done things that way when i started getting into photo gear, the lens have always stayed the same while the bodys quickly go out of date... Went through a few bodies doing it that way, it was game over when i bought the 5dmk2.. Wont be needing to get a new camera in a loooooooong time :thu:

Just a thought to consider :thu:

OR buy a used 5d and rent lenses :idk:

Plot thickens :)

• Members

Depending on how much you ACTUALLY plan on shooting, i'd even recommend just using the 1k to buy all lens and then rent the camera body when you need it. I wish i had done things that way when i started getting into photo gear, the lens have always stayed the same while the bodys quickly go out of date... Went through a few bodies doing it that way, it was game over when i bought the 5dmk2.. Wont be needing to get a new camera in a loooooooong time
:thu:

Just a thought to consider
:thu:

OR buy a used 5d and rent lenses
:idk:

Plot thickens
:)

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! The big problem here is I live in Mexico and I don't think there's a place here that rents the body (or lens), the same goes for craiglists, and people down here sell their used stuff for the same price I can get from Amazon, so it isn't a great idea since there are a lot of people who don't want to ship internationally.

It looks like I shall read even more, thanks! (no sarcasm here)

• Members

Ah, yea I can imagine finding a good deal on used high end camera equipment might be tough for ya then...

My big thing with cameras is not the megapixels or any of the crap like that... it's the form factor and how easy it is to use as a professional camera, my problem with the low end nikons and canons is that they force you to menu dive for most of the normal settings, I don't want to have to look at the screen to change my stinking aperture or ISO. The higher up you go (Canon D50/60, Nikon D80/90) the more professional the feature-set, on a real camera there should be a tactile button for everything and it should be in the right place so you can change it quickly without having to think about it. Think of it this way, what if the M9 was exactly the way it is, except they took away the buttons that allow you to change presets, instead to change to a different preset you had to lean down and scroll through a menu to get to the next one and hit select... it'd still be a great pedal capable of all sorts of great sounds, but it would limit you in a lot of real life situations.

• Members

fwiw, i've heard nothing but great things about the d3100. have not tried it personally though.

canon 40d is a great camera that is very affordable.

and a plus for canon is their lenses are much more affordable than nikon

• Members

Think of it this way, what if the M9 was exactly the way it is, except they took away the buttons that allow you to change presets, instead to change to a different preset you had to lean down and scroll through a menu to get to the next one and hit select... it'd still be a great pedal capable of all sorts of great sounds, but it would limit you in a lot of real life situations.

Amazing analogy! thanks! I think I'll try to save a little more and get the D90 (even though I don't like the idea that the D90 is 2-3 years old and the D3100 is new, should I be worried?) and a macro lenses, and then save for everything else later. I still have to buy the memory card, extra battery and a bag hehe.

Hasn't there been a lot of rumors about the D90 successor? any word on that?

• Members

Canon EOS 550 is a badass camera.

Honestly though, I don't think anyone really makes a "bad" DSLR, not out of, Nikon, Canon, or even Sony, anyway.

A half decent DSLR with a great lens will take great photos, an expensive DSLR with a rubbish lens will take sub-par photos.

I have a Sony A350, which is by no means a top of the range camera, but it has the same lens mount as Minolta used to have, which means I can get some great lenses for pretty cheap.

For instance, I can get a 50mm f1.7 Minolta Maxxum AF lens and the famous 70-210 f4 "beercan" for under

• Members

Amazing analogy! thanks! I think I'll try to save a little more and get the D90 (even though I don't like the idea that the D90 is 2-3 years old and the D3100 is new, should I be worried?) and a macro lenses, and then save for everything else later. I still have to buy the memory card, extra battery and a bag hehe.

Hasn't there been a lot of rumors about the D90 successor? any word on that?

The D90 is a good choice... I'm sure the successor won't be far away, it's about that time.

Archived