Talk me into/out of getting a Deluxe Memory Boy

OMTerria

• Members

My refund from ToneFactor should be processed pretty soon now, and I'm like 4/5ths sure I want to get a DMB with some of the cash. I like the way the Toy and Boy sound so I assume that the Deluxe would be cool, and the inclusion of tap tempo and an effects loop really peak my interest. I've never owned (only played) analog delays before, so talk me into this one or steer me in a better direction :wave:

• Members

Haha fair enough. I've debated just getting the Memory Boy, but getting the tap tempo and effects loop seems like a good use of a couple extra dollars. The effects loop is one of those things I could see myself liking at first, but not really using down the road though. Putting a Pitchfactor into it could be pretty nuts though

• Members

Haha fair enough. I've debated just getting the Memory Boy, but getting the tap tempo and effects loop seems like a good use of a couple extra dollars. The effects loop is one of those things I could see myself liking at first, but not really using down the road though. Putting a Pitchfactor into it could be pretty nuts though

I would easily get the deluxe mem boy over the non-deluxe if I could go back in time. I bought the non-deluxe when it first came out not knowing that EHX were releasing the deluxe half a year later :mad:

• Members

i have a DMM and i can say it is one of my favorite delays ever. I find myself just using slap back sounds on it so i looked up what delay "ruled" for slap back and everyone said the aqua puss. no tap tempo, and a short max delay time, but it sounds really really really good. i think i might like it more than the DMM. call me crazy but you can't go wrong with EHX or Way Huge.

• Members

I will say this - I really loved the DMB until its repeats were totally killed by a cold (not freezing) day. Lamesauce.

How cold are we talking? And for how long? It doesn't really get too cold around here, but I do travel with my gear in the trunk during winter, so it would be exposed for a little while. I suppose I could try to keep it up front or something though

• Members

I've been tap-tempo delay shopping recently.

I considered many, even started a thread. It's come down to the DMB and the SMMw/H.

The DMB is appealing for it's price, and analogotry.

The SMMw/H is appealing for its looping feature, extended feature list, and more colorful paint job.

In the end, the looping is something I've wanted for a very long time, for practice purposes. I'd never use it live, so I don't wanna buy a whole pedal when all I'd ever want is to record some rhythm to practice lead parts over. The SMMw/H is the winner. The looping being tucked into a delay will be quite handy for between practices and gigs when I'm just at home playing with my board through a practice amp. That, and I have a Malekko 616 to satisfy my true analog needs. I'll probably keep that one set for a slap-ehco for solos and stuff, then use the SMMw/H for longer, more timine-essential delays.

Haven't ordered yet, but I will soon.

The DMB seems like quite the formidable pedal. I don't have much experience with EHX, but some folks a re {censored}ing die hard for them. :idk: If the DMB had some sort of low-fidelity looping feature *cough*cough* I'd go with that one in a heartbeat.

Good luck on your venture.

I'd love a DMM, but its a bit out of my price range. The Aqua Puss I tried was pretty cool, but the lack of modulation is a deal breaker for me. Next time I revisit my delay section, I plan on considering it or one of the Boss DMs.

How cold are we talking? And for how long? It doesn't really get too cold around here, but I do travel with my gear in the trunk during winter, so it would be exposed for a little while. I suppose I could try to keep it up front or something though

I think it was in October, couldn't have been that cold. Lasted for DAYS.

• Members

Not a big fan of the Memory Boy sounds... they're good, but they've seemed to have quite a bit of quality control with the Memory Boy/Toy line...

Came here to post this. Never really heard any details about this issue but I have heard this myself and that was enough for me to question my decision to get one. I would hold out for a 919 for sure.

• Members

Any word on what the 919 is going to cost? Or if it's actually going to come out this time :lol:?

I checked out some videos of the SMMw/H (oddly enough, I haven't tried or heard it before), and it's totally not what I'm looking for at all but I sure want it :facepalm::lol:. I don't know if I could give the old DD-6 the boot though, but if I kept it I could run up to six delays at once, which could be fun (if complete overkill)

Archived