Rant about USB MIDI keyboards

• Members

The Akai MPK49 is actually pretty good. I bought one probably 8 months ago and have very few complaints about it. You can save a lot of money if you watch the auctions.

This was supposed to be the USB MIDI controller that would turn the tide. Good to hear you're happy with yours.

I've been in the "best controller is a real keyboard synth" camp, but for flights to see my bandmate in another city, I'd like something that can fit in a backpack.

• Members

So, just thinking out loud here...

What if someone were to build a conventional, high-quality USB keyboard controller? Something with a solid, proven keybed in a steel case, with basic controls using top-of-the-line switches/pots/encoders, whatever...

Would anyone really pay for it?

How would the above fit in Gireviks backpack?

If portability is not an issue then...

Oberheim MC3000

or

CME VX88 (88 keys)

The CME weighs 75 pounds.....heavy enough? No problems with the steel case, controls, switches, pots, or motorized sliders.

The problem at this moment is quality control and issues in the operating system, but only if you are really going to do in-depth midi controls and set-ups.

I never owned the Oberheim but had a chance to demo it and loved the key action. I spoke recently with the North America conductor for Mamia Mia which has been touring for years and he says they have held up very well. They use 3 MC3000s for each show. Considering there are multiple tours of Mama Mia plus permanent shows like Las Vegas it says a lot for the Oberheim MC3000.

• Members

... Something with a solid, proven keybed in a steel case, with basic controls using top-of-the-line switches/pots/encoders, whatever...

Would anyone really pay for it?

Composers who are willing to pay $7,000 for the Vienna Symphonic Library would most likely pay $900 or so for a decently built USB keyboard controller that would allow them to work on projects while on the road. I don't know if this is a big enough market to interest any manufacturers. I imagine lots of drum pads, arpeggiators and other bells and whistles would have to be added to sell many units.

The Oberheim MC3000 sounds fabulous, but as far as full sized hardware synths go I can get all the controller functions I need from my Kurzweil 2600.

• Members

Composers who are willing to pay $7,000 for the Vienna Symphonic Library

Yeah, both of them.....

You nailed it. They build what sells, a lot.

Of course, there's always the botique stuff. Maybe someone somewhere will build something like this someday.

Or, get creative and build something of your own. Chop something down ? Get an old digital piano and skavange part of the keybed assy and the pCB ? I dunno, just thinking out loud here....

Archived