OT: Windows Phone 7

moqi

• Members

Anyone have a WP7 phone? How do you like it? Pros / Cons?

I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Omnia 7 because my Nokia 5800 pisses me off.

It also seems that most WP7 phones have dropped significantly in price. :thu:

• Members

Just recently I was choosing between thr Samsung Omnia 7 and the HTC Desire HD. I read numerous comparison reviews where the HTC won every time, but each of the reviews said the HTC was only marginally better.

Between the two, each one has pros and cons as far as the hardware itself, however the reason the HTC seemed to win every comparison was because Andorid, at this stage, is just plain better than Windows Phone 7. It's the simple things like WP7 has no copy and paste, and it doesn't do true multi-tasking.

I spoke with the dude in the phone shop to get his opinion, and he summed it up quite nicely - in maybe 12-24 months afdter a couple of updates, WP7 will be amazing. But right now it's very young and still has a way to go to catch up to Android.

• Members

One of the major complaints I read about Windows Phone 7 was the media aspect of it.... you can only transfer media through the Zune programme, and it only plays Microsoft proprietory video files. So with Android you can drag and drop your media into the right folders really quickly, but with WP7 you have to go through a transfer process using Zune, and apparently it takes an absolute age to encode your video files before it transfers them to the phone.

• Members

One of the major complaints I read about Windows Phone 7 was the media aspect of it.... you can only transfer media through the Zune programme, and it only plays Microsoft proprietory video files. So with Android you can drag and drop your media into the right folders really quickly, but with WP7 you have to go through a transfer process using Zune, and apparently it takes an absolute age to encode your video files before it transfers them to the phone.

This might be annoying...especially with mp3s. I'm used to converting video files...had to do it with my Nokia, too and it is pretty time consuming.

Can Android play DivX/XviD videos?

• Members

Yeah I've got the Desire HD, which is the bigger brother to the Desire. It's fast as {censored}, it seems I can run any number of applications and it never shows any signs of slowing down. I really wanted to want the Omnia 7 because I think Windows Phone 7 looks a bit slicker than Android, but all arrows pointed towards Android just being an all round better interface at this moment in time.

I think my next phone will probably be a WP7 phone, because there's 21 months between now and then for WP7 to get upgraded and developed, but right now Android is a safer bet because it's tried and tested.

Another benefit to Android is Wifi tethering - yes, you can use your phone as a modem for your laptop.

• Members

Just out of curiosity: which software version do you have on the Nokia 5800?

I have the same phone and I installed the v52 update a while ago and I'm pretty pleased with it now.

One thing that sucks on Nokia phones is their web browser but you can download Opera and it's a lot, lot better.

• Members

I actually have a ported C6 firmware on my Nokia 5800 right now because I wanted more control over my homescreen...had the v52 before and it was okay. As you said web browsing is no joy (even with Opera), as everything seems a bit slow / unstable. Games / Apps for Symbian are a joke IMO.

Thanks, Phil! Tethering might be useful, but I actually didn't know what it was until you mentioned it :D

Archived