NP,T,RAD!

lolque?

• Members

New Pharaoh, toobz, and repaired amp day. Mmmm, it's good.

5601270239_35d5727696.jpg

Got my ampeg V4 back from the tech. Complete cap job, some things fixed in the phase inverter section, and JJ 6550s installed. Sounds n times better than it did before :love:. Also, got a NOS tung-sol 12ax7 for V1, and a NOS GE 12AU7 for the phase inverter. Vintage toanz. I'm hearing a lot more clarity from the amp, and a hell of a lot more low end (like it needed it).

I'm liking the pharaoh this far. I will admit that I wasn't a fan for the first hour of playing it, but after some time I've gotten some pretty solid sounds out of it. As of right now though, it isn't kicking the Russian big muff off the board for non-downtuned stuff. It might in time though :idk:. Anyone have any recommended settings?

Guest Guest

I will admit that I wasn't a fan for the first hour of playing it, but after some time I've gotten some pretty solid sounds out of it.

It can do solid, but I couldn't get anything...impressive out of mine. :idk:

Guest Guest

So is it a Muff? or not

Cause I hear two different things all the time
:snax:

Sound-wise? Eh, kind of. It's more of a big open-sounding distortion to me.

Guest Guest

Cool, have you ever played a EQD Tusk Fuzz?

Im thinking of getting one of thems

I have not. What about it appeals to you?

• Members

I have not. What about it appeals to you?

I heard its just a really gnarly distortion type sound

I used to have a big box Flying Tomato which I got rid of, it had an awesome overall character

You know, fat bottom and nice high end without being too shrill sans mid scoop

Hoping the Tusk is like that

• Members

How do you afford this {censored} man?

Not that I'm one to talk about irresponsible collegiate spending. NAD 4 me

Not irresponsible at all, I work three jobs, and don't have a car :lol:.

Well, fully repaired and what have you, that amp has cost me $400. I traded a hot rod deluxe I had about 5 years ago to this kid down in the cape, and he gave me the V4 in kind of beat up condition, and a JCM 900 1960B. Sold the 1960B for $400, and the amp repairs were literally $399.95. The pharaoh I just wanted to try, and could probably flip for some money if I wanted to. The tubes were too good of a deal to pass up. /endrant.

To natty, I wouldn't call it a muff at all. While it can get some sounds out of it, it dosen't go anywhere near my Russian big muff (purchased from Amherst Music House, andmoregain. He was selling it for $35 :lol:) However, the sounds that come out of it are good, but I'm not blown away :idk:. The tone controls also have a bit of a learning curve from my ~4 hours with it.

• Members
Not irresponsible at all, I work three jobs,
and don't have a car

(purchased from Amherst Music House, andmoregain. He was selling it for $35
:lol:
)

There it is! I spent quite a bit of this months gas $ on my new amp, and then found out my last paycheck bounced :mad:

And yea amherst music house is a weird shop. Half the stuff is seriously over-priced but they often have no Idea what they have which can definitely be a good thing.

• Members

There it is! I spent quite a bit of this months gas $ on my new amp, and then found out my last paycheck bounced
:mad:

And yea amherst music house is a weird shop. Half the stuff is seriously over-priced but they often have no Idea what they have which can definitely be a good thing.

For sure. The guy in there's nice enough, but I'd rather not pay like $1200 for an AC30CC2 :freak:. He also had la '66 champ there for a bit, he wanted about a grand for it :lol:

• Members

So, after spending about 5 hours with the pharaoh, I've found that while I like it, it just hasn't floored me yet :idk:. I do like the wide range of sounds it can do, though. Quite impressive. It hasn't kicked my russian big muff off the board though,

Archived