Yamaha M08 vs XS8

mcsdude

• Members

Hey - can some of you tell me some key differences between the M08 and the XS8? I'd love the XS8 just because obviously it has more to it but it's really stretching my budget to say the least. I'm looking for quality of sounds, strong arpeggiator and decent feeling hammer action keys. The Yamaha site does a great job of listing their strengths and features but doesn't specificy critical differences between the 2.

Does the XS series use a whole new engine from the ES?

Many thanks.

• Members

The M08 has the same engine as the ES minus sampling. The XS is a whole new engine. If you are on a budget get a ES8. If you have the cash get the XS. Both are pretty good machines and have what you're looking for. It is stupid to get a MO8 when you can get an ES8 for under 1500 now.

• Members

Hey - can some of you tell me some key differences between the M08 and the XS8? I'd love the XS8 just because obviously it has more to it but it's really stretching my budget to say the least. I'm looking for quality of sounds, strong arpeggiator and decent feeling hammer action keys. The Yamaha site does a great job of listing their strengths and features but doesn't specificy critical differences between the 2.

Does the XS series use a whole new engine from the ES?

Many thanks.

well, right now the XS8 is listed as 2899.

The XS just decimates the ES8, much less the Mo8...

If you are really looking for a purchase and you are willing to travel or ship- MY Guitar Center 949-609-0055

They have an XS8 for only $2400.00, try to use their 10% off coupon as well...Everything's negotiable man.

The XS8 has built in Mlan...That right there is worth an extra $200 so if you don't need it, sell it!

• Members

Sounds like the original poster may want to get a better understanding across the Yamaha lineage. Thousands of words have been dedicated on this forum and others, like the www.motifator.com forums. Do a little searching and see what grabs you. Going to the store and doing a real life compare and contrast is really the only way you can make this kind of decision.

With that public service announcement out of the way, I would recommend looking at the ES and XS before paying for a MO8. If you are a newbie, maybe you want an MM8.

• Members

Good advice guys - I appreciate the input. I had the es6 a while back but ended up selling it. It was a kicking board though for sure. After all I have read I may go for an es8 or save up a bit more for the xs8. That thing is incredible.

Hey DrInovation - is that $2400 XS8 new or used? I believe MF is selling them for what $3199? That's quite a discount.

Thanks again.

• Members

While we're talking about it - can you guys tell me how you feel the Fantom X8 stacks up against the ES8 ? I may have a line on a great deal on a barely used one of those.

I know "play it and see" is such the simple answer, problem is with any board this complex one has to really spend a good bit of time with any of them before you really get into is super strengths and weaknesses.

• Members

It is a subjective thing to decide between the Big 3 brands. Kind of like some people like Chevy and others like Ford. Although I'm a Honda guy myself. They can all meet the same end, but pretty different UI, control surface and actions. I personally prefer the Yamahas over the Rolands. You also need to expand your search to include Kurzweil and Korg. If you are talking about a $2k-3k expenditure, don't limit yourself.

• Members

While we're talking about it - can you guys tell me how you feel the Fantom X8 stacks up against the ES8 ? I may have a line on a great deal on a barely used one of those.

Thanks again.

The Guitar Center in Fountain Valley (as well as just about every craigslist ad ever made) has the Fantom X8 for about $1500.00, although buying used would mean zero tax...

Diametro will tell you the Fantom X8 is great, but I highly disagree...It sounds too digitized. The synth engine lacks that warmth found in JV, XV, and XP lines....

The piano sound will play like a real piano, but it lacks dynamics and will only sound real when playing certain velocities, nothing more. The Yamaha XS sound isn't any better IMO. No piano (except for the PC3X will satisfy my piano procrastinations.)

We all might give you more detailed advice IF we knew what specific sounds you were looking for....

• Members

I know "play it and see" is such the simple answer, problem is with any board this complex one has to really spend a good bit of time with any of them before you really get into is super strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly, play it and see...

These boards are NOT complex by any means. If you wish to dive into the synth world learning the UI's are a must.

Keybeds: pretty identical, although for long term the Yamaha, ANY Yamaha will Pwn the Roland in terms of longevity.

Sounds: What are you looking for?

Drums, the XS will just kill the Roland, the toms have been refined, very refined.

Pianos-meh to both.

EP's-Yamaha will destroy the Fantom (stock) getting an SRX will even it out, however they're retail $200USD:rolleyes:

Basically ANY acoustic sound has been made to sound authentic on the Yamaha XS, while the Roland-:facepalm:

Still, at $1500 the Fantom X8 will be a value in its own right. I have an XR, and I do not use it. Hell, my Triton Extreme has better sounds in it-YMMV as to what sounds you like.

Electronica isn't my style, so perhaps the Roland Fantom X8 will suit you the best. Diametron has some rather deep deep interesting beats he's made using Roland products...

Archived